Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SA engraved blade

Hello guys,
    what do you think about this SA blade? Thanks a lot in advance.
    Val

Looks like a period blade with a post-war inscription. If you want a certain answer you may need to post some detailed pics of the etch, but I personally don't like it.

Red

Comment

I agree with Red.
      Anytime you see spaces in between the letters that wide, it's one of the obvious signs that reads - I'M A FAKE.

-wagner-

Comment

I decipher German with little knowledge of the language; I use my German to English dictionary, and help from internet translators... However, I believe the inscription should be "Für gute Leistung Geerdet Brigadeführer", which translates to "Conduct for good achievement brigade Leader"... Did they drop the "t" off of Geerdet with the inscription "Für gute Leistung Geerde Brigadeführer'???

Regards,
        Don_

Comment

I have a question:

I have seen these blade etches described as one of two ways:

1) "Post War"
          2) "Fake"

What is the difference between this?

How does one tell the difference between the owner of an SA dagger getting a post war inscription done on his dagger to personalize it... or someone adding this post-war to increase the value? Were these etchings ONLY done by the group presenting the dagger, there for it was kind of forbidden for the owner of the dagger to do it himself or something?

I have never really studied these kind of SAs before, and Im sorry to change the focus of this threat... if needed I will ask it be deleted and I'll move it. Just thought it would be good to have an example and both 1) and 2) used to describe this dagger.

Comment

Well, post war means something has been done after the war = not original period thing. Fake is also something done after the war to make impression it's a real thing, basically both terms mean the same, which is
            Here we've got original blade with fake, post war added inscription at the reverse.

Comment

Originally posted by GaryMJ View Post
              Looks like a period blade with a post-war inscription. If you want a certain answer you may need to post some detailed pics of the etch, but I personally don't like it.

Red
              Hi Red,
              finally I got some more detailed pics from the owner:

Comment

I don't know if my opinion is worth anything here, but I'm sure it is a fake dedication, no need to analyse the lettering, all sentence "construction" is just bad. Typical job made to deceive the novice.

P.S. Sorry, but I will not try to point out what the biggest mistakes Mr.Faker has done (unless we want to help him to get better and do undetectable fakes).

Comment

Hi Val, thanks for the pics. I'm afraid it doesn't look like a period etch at all. A period dedication would have been written by hand using a caligraphic pen. This particular dedication was created with a commercial font used post-war. There are two very popular fonts used frequently in the 70's and 80's and seem to be a steady favourite of the fakers of the time. This particular font is Fraktur Bold, the other often used is Old English, both of which were common and available from "Letraset", a typeface supplier to the commercial art industry from the 70's to the late 90's.

Sorry, but I wouldn't pursue this blade any further...

Red

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X