GermanMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Story time' - More cool SS stuff bought from a veternas son.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Story time' - More cool SS stuff bought from a veternas son.

I just got a call yesterday from the son of a WWII veteran who wanted to sell his dads “NAZI SS” stuff that he captured from an SS Officer, in fact the son knew the SS officer’s name and had some info on him that he found on the internet. His name was Heinz Jost, and the son printed up 5 pages of information on him to go with the relics.

He said his dad got into a gun fight with Jost and won. He took his gun, hat, bayonet and two daggers (one was hidden in his leg). The son sold me everything but the gun, he wanted to keep that since his dad was wounded by it in the gun fight.

Since it was such rare SS stuff, he said he would take no less than $1,000 for everything but the gun. He stated that I had to be a “serious” buyer because he did not want to waste his time with an amateur who just wanted to look at cool stuff.

It was hard to cough up $1,000, but I did, after all, …what a story !!!! I’m just glad it was SS stuff and not something that belonged to Hitler personally, since I have enough of Hitler’s stuff already from family members of veterans.

Nothing rare, but it's good to find untouched stuff these days:

-1st model Luftwaffe made by SMF in aluminum.
    -SA RZM M 7/68 1941
    -Police Alexander Coppel marked S.Ar.I.576 (Arnsberg District)
    -Unmarked white topped political leaders visor cap with white piping.

Question: With so much stuff coming from captured or dead SS Officers, why are SS Officer's uniforms so rare?

Dave
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tmca05; 03-17-2011, 11:01 AM. Reason: Spelling

I don,t see the SS connection none of this is SS related
    Mametz

Comment

Good "history" people come up with isn't it?? NICE group with very nice condition too! Love the knarly stag on the polizei bayo!! Congrats. Kevin.

Comment

Originally posted by mametz View Post
        I don,t see the SS connection none of this is SS related
        Mametz
        I thought the same thing. I just think this guy was trying to make all this worth more because it is from "SS" officer. But for 1000 you did very good. I would love to find this kind of group any time. What kind of pistol it was?

Comment

Well the son sounds like a jerk to me...anyway, for 1000 you did well. I like that hat...interesting. So many dead SS officers...so few daggers. I am still waiting for that first woodwork fresh SS dagger...so far its just HJ knives, Luftschutz helmets, flags, Bayonets and US items like air raid warden stuff...*sigh*...even a plain m42 helmet would make me happy today.

Comment

The pistol was a J.P. Sauer and Sohn with a busted grip.

Yes, this had nothing to do with being SS, it's just the story that people come up with to sell their items is humorous to listen to. I learned years ago to just go along with them and listen to the stories, it keeps them happy. If you challenge the story in anyway, you may insult them, and loose the purchase. As collectors, we know better, and we know there is no way his dad took these items from an SS officer.

Rule # 1, Even when buying from an estate, "buy the item, not the story".

Comment

Originally posted by tmca05 View Post
              The pistol was a J.P. Sauer and Sohn with a busted grip.

Yes, this had nothing to do with being SS, it's just the story that people come up with to sell their items is humorous to listen to. I learned years ago to just go along with them and listen to the stories, it keeps them happy. If you challenge the story in anyway, you may insult them, and loose the purchase. As collectors, we know better, and we know there is no way his dad took these items from an SS officer.

Rule # 1, Even when buying from an estate, "buy the item, not the story".
              I agree

Comment

Great relics with a typical vet family story. I have heard stories like this 100 times. You are lucky that none of this stuff had "blood stains" or worse, "blood pitting" (rust from poor storage).

Comment

SS Col.

Just about ever Luger I bought from a vet, and I have bought plenty thru the years.

Almost ever single one of them came from a "SS Colonel I shot".

Oh how time fades the memory.

I think that is how they "remembered it" I even got a chrome plated P-38 that

"was chromed when I took it off a SS Colonel".

Comment

Bad story but a god catch

Andy

Comment

When you buy out of the woodwork there are only 3 types of things you will buy.
                      1) SS
                      2) SS officer
                      3) Generals

Gotta love them stories, nice haul by the way.

Comment

what kind of gun was it a glock?

Comment

Hey tmca05,

Please post some more photos of that visor in the cloth headgear forum if you get a chance!!

Comment

Great Story!!!!!!!
                            I have heard the same thing only from the Vet himself. Like the guy who had a tankers helmet that was actually a very nice Para helmet but he knew cuz he took it off a German Tanker or he was gona blow his head off.
                            Fun Stories we can only grin and bear it.
                            Jerry

Comment

I imagine a lot of the details in these stories get skewed not only because of time but because the veterans really didn't know much about the men they took these things from specifically what units they came from. A veteran friend of mine who was in the 44th ID brought a few items back from his time in the ETO and didn't know anything about what the cap and patches he brought back but was delighted when I explained their origin.

We've all heard or read about Panzer crewman and even purportedly Reichsbahn workers being executed because they were thought to be members of the SS due to their dark colored uniforms. From the research I've done it doesn't seem like the average GI made much distinction between the Germans he ran into. Maybe it's from a lack of intelligence given to them on identifying these different units but then again I couldn't see it mattering much to them anyway. Knowing he was the enemy was enough.

-Bryant
                              Last edited by Bryant U.; 03-18-2011, 10:59 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X