SS Himmler Dagger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Himmler Dagger

This was the first dagger in my collection and started me on the road to collecting madness.
    Attached Files

Beautiful piece and an awesome way to start!!!

Comment

Why didn't you just stop after that one? It doesn't get any better that this. My first was a far cry, an RZM SA but it still put me on the same road.

Comment

cogwheel, now thats a real nice conditioned peice for your 1st dagger

Comment

Thats a beauty , my first was an army with a Blade that a grinder had serviced . Buti thought it was great at the time

Comment

Originally posted by Billy G View Post
            Why didn't you just stop after that one? It doesn't get any better that this. My first was a far cry, an RZM SA but it still put me on the same road.
            An NSKK RZM got me started...for 700! I have learned much since then. Nice Himmler dagger...what a way to start..where did you find it? garage sale? the tale of where it came from is often as intriguing as the piece itself.
            Regards,
            Eric

Comment

lucky you, you know well what dealers are asking for and then just find one in this condition

Comment

It was sheer luck that I had come in contact with a friend of a friend in 1991 whose uncle, a WWII US Army officer, had passed away leaving him a footlocker full of US Army ooficers uniforms, a Luger, and .....the Himmler dagger. He offered to sell it for $150 so I went over to look at it. At the time I had no books and no collector acquaintances, so when I saw that dagger loaded with dirt and ambergris I almost reneged on the deal. I finally wrote him a check, took it home and cleaned it up. It was almost a year later that I found out what I really had.
                I sometimes think about this - what if I had reneged?

Comment

$150

renaged on that super mega deal =

bet you,ll never part with it

Comment

If I would be an SS dagger-expert, I would be interested in some detailed close-up's from the Himmler inscription.

Regards,

Ernst

Comment

I thought it looked buffed. It used to be popular to try and clean stuff up , but now days of course we feel differently about it. Whats done is water over the dam. I think the hardest dagger to find of all is : the SS dagger w/ roehm enscription , un ground, and un touched (virgin).

Comment

Funny thing is that the blade didn't need any buffing at all. The only thing dirty were the hilt and scabbard fittings which were heavily oxidized.

As for appearance, I like my daggers cleaned and free of rust and oxidation because ultimately it destroys the finish. I don't know what the current trend is regarding dagger maintenance in the collecting community, and what the ideal appearance should be these days. But I'm not into the 'antique' look but prefer them to look the way they were worn. Whenever I watched a small formation of Marines during a ceremony I have never seen an oxidized uncleaned sword being displayed.
                        Ultimately it comes down to individual tastes and collecting goals.

Comment

Like I said, the tale is often as interesting as the item...150? it happens, lightning can strike you've got a great item there.
                          Originally posted by cogwheel View Post
                          It was sheer luck that I had come in contact with a friend of a friend in 1991 whose uncle, a WWII US Army officer, had passed away leaving him a footlocker full of US Army ooficers uniforms, a Luger, and .....the Himmler dagger. He offered to sell it for $150 so I went over to look at it. At the time I had no books and no collector acquaintances, so when I saw that dagger loaded with dirt and ambergris I almost reneged on the deal. I finally wrote him a check, took it home and cleaned it up. It was almost a year later that I found out what I really had.
                          I sometimes think about this - what if I had reneged?

Comment

Gentlemen, be honest!

Whatever if buffed or not! But who is be able to say this dagger is good or bad based on this two photos and without additional close-up's of the inscription?

That is my question to the experts here.

Best regards,

Ernst

Comment

Herr Kemper: Nun brauchen wir nur noch Ihren Himmler Dolch zum Vergleich.
                              Diese Vergroesserungen muessen genuegen denn ich habe zur Zeit keinen Microscop Adapter fuer meine Kamera.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X