Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spitzer army dagger question

Hello folks,

I am familiar with the information found in 'Exploring the Dress Daggers of the German Army' concerning Spitzer's version. Having said that, I still have a few questions concernign the Spitzer army dagger...

1. Wittmann speculates in his book that they only produced daggers early in the period. Any thoughts on this statement?

2. Are 'genuine' Spitzer army daggers always found with this same unique crossguard or can a Spitzer daggers be found with a 'generic' crossguard?

3. Did Spitzer use a unique pommel cap, scabbard, ferrule, etc. throughtout the period, or can 'generic' parts be found on Spitzer pieces?

Always trying to learn. Thanks in advance for the help.

Calvin
    -Calvin Hall, repressed Appalachian American.

Desperately seeking a Juncker Knights Cross ribbon loop and well used Knights Cross ribbon!!!

Excellent question, Calvin!

I too have a Gustav Spitzer Heer dagger that doesnt seem to conform to the information presented in Wittmann's book, and it left me pondering exactly the same questions.

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

Comment

What you are asking is going to be very hard to answer.

While these daggers are found in the early style, too many have variations to accept Toms statement as fact.

As collectors, we will always find something different , then any book will mention. This is due to various reasons.

During the down-turn of production, many makers bought parts from other makers. I will always find it hard to accept, that what is NOT in a book, is wrong.

Bob

Comment

I think Bob makes a very good point here

Spitzer was a fairly small maker, more closely associated with the Party-from (i.e, SA) daggers and as such would certainly be more likely to purchase parts from other sources.

It's not out of the question (at least in my mind!) that they would purchase components from whomever had them the most readily available. There is documented evidence now that even the largest firms bought & sold parts to & from others. I think this was a common practice and simply made good business sense - we often forget that the firms that produced edged weapons, or for that matter decorations and insignia, were in the business to make money. There may have been an element of patriotism involved, but the real motivation was the Reichsmark!

I can just imagine how surprised/amused the folks who produced all our 'treasures' during the period would be if they could see us with our reference libraries, black-lights, calipers and scales poring over the details of every piece.

I'm NOT saying that we should not be educated, cautious collectors, but I personally believe that common sense and sound business practices carried as much weight as the criteria of the RZM, the LDO, et.al.

Best,
        Skip

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X