Lakeside Trader - 2nd Banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Schmitz NSKK w/Black Anodized Scabbard - Tool Box Found -First For Me, How Rare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schmitz NSKK w/Black Anodized Scabbard - Tool Box Found -First For Me, How Rare?

I have heard talk about early SA makers that also made an NSKK dagger with a black anodized scabbard, but never seen one personally that came straight out of the woodwork. The examples I have seen usually gave me the impression the scabbard was either re-blued or the scabbard was switched (poor fit).

However, I got this one locally yesterday right after it came in the door at a local collectibles store. The owner went on a call to an estate to look at tools and this was in one of the tool boxes.

It looks exactly as he found it and I got it. The rust got to the scabbard pretty bad and it's bubbled up all over the place. However, where it's not rusted, it has black anodizing underneath.

The blade is actually in very nice condition with it's original cross grain. I haven't even cleaned it before photographing. With a little elbow grease most of the blemishes will come out. The scabbard did a good job protecting it.

Would appreciate your thoughts on this one. Ordinarily, one in this condition is not worthy of discussion, but who here has seen an early NSKK they were 100% positive came from the factory with a black anodized scabbard (not painted)? What maker's are 100% known to have EVER produced an NSKK dagger with an anodized scabbard?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Colorado; 03-10-2011, 07:35 AM.
    Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Nice find Jeff, Friedr.Aug.Schmitz rates a 6 on the old Mcsarr list, i have a nice SA & HJ by this maker in my collection, i havent seen much SAs or HJs by this maker on my internet hunts so a Friedr.Aug.Schmitz NSKK with a period black anodised scabbard would be a hard one to find imo.

Comment

Thanks Mac - It would be interesting to know how many makers made a black anodized scabbard for the NSKK. My guess is it would be less than 10 and all would come from small makers.

The window of time from when NSKK adopted the black scabbard and RZM conversion to painted black scabbards would not have afforded any real production.

I have not seen many anodized NSKK's, but the one's I saw (at shows etc.) seemed post-war done.

Comment

I have a CF Kayser with a black anodized scabbard that came from LakesideTrader last Spring.
                Regards,
                Eric

Comment

Hi Jeff, yes it would be interesting to know about how many early NSKK daggers had there scabbards Anodised during the early period before RZM black painted scabbards came into production.

Comment

Originally posted by ValhallaMilitaria View Post
                    I have a CF Kayser with a black anodized scabbard that came from LakesideTrader last Spring.
                    Regards,
                    Eric
                    Eric, can we see a few pix please?

Comment

Jeff,
                      Black anodized scabbards for NSKK's are a legit item. But we won't know why so few were produced compared to painted ones.
                      From what I seen the anodized versions, when found, will be on scarce small cottage makers.

I've also seen early Marine 33's with all painted scabbards and grips (on common makers) but also black stained SA grips with anodized scabbard ( on one early marine, scarce maker).
                      -JMO-

Best of Quest,
                      -wagner-

Comment

Gentlemen, the basic question is: why the early regular SA dagger (I don't want to speculate about Marine SA dagger here) would left the factory with black scabbard few years before Hühnlein's order? The NSKK wore brown scabbards at that time. However, I have no doubts that after receiving the "scabbard order" from Korpsführer, some NSKK members chose to make their scabbards black without using the black paint. Remember, the NSKK men were very often professional mechanics and "handy guys", so it shouldn't be a problem for some of them to use centuries old ways of blueing/blackening the steel (I personally don't like the term "anodizing", since it's correct for aluminium only). Besides, I'm sure the small cottage makers were ready to satisfy the customers with changing the scabbard colour in a professional way. So, in my humble opinion, such daggers are pretty acceptable but it's almost impossible to say for 100% if the scabbard finish has been made by the original owner (if done really well), or eventually switched into early SS scabbard (however I don't think the latter was a popular way, because the SS daggers were not the things one could just go and buy in a shop).

Comment

Yes, let me shoot a few...give me a bit.
                          Eric
                          Originally posted by Mac 66 View Post
                          Eric, can we see a few pix please?
                          Attached Files

Comment

One more:
                            Attached Files

Comment

Gentlemen, thank you for your fine posts and added insight on these daggers.

777 - You said that some "NSKK members chose to make their scabbards black without using the black paint. Remember, the NSKK men were very often professional mechanics and "handy guys" Interesting point. "

Under magnification (See my 2nd photo in POST #5) , you can see light lines like steel wool perhaps was used on the scabbard. No doubt it has been there a long time and it's UNDERNEATH the "bluing". It is interesting you point that out.

If you notice also the Gau Mark is "Om" very unusual one to find on a dagger as well. Interesting that VahallaMilitaria has same Gau. Small Empire.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X