Early SA Dagger????? Opinions Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early SA Dagger????? Opinions Please

I have just bought this dagger today. It is in very nice condition and bought privately from a vet. He insists it has not been touched. The maker is Gust Weyersberg with Marks "NACHF" and "GSN". There is the usual SA type motto "Alles fur Deutschland". The handle is the strange part. It has no insignia on whatsoever, Like an NPEA dagger??? I don't know. Could I have your opinions please? Cheers,
    Attached Files

Handle
    Attached Files

Comment

scabbard and handle 1
      Attached Files

Comment

Maker
        Attached Files

Comment

Scabbard and Hanger
          Attached Files

Comment

I wish the pictures were more clear, but the handle is likely a replacement. It is coated with lacquer and only a couple makers are known for that. One picture shows the crossguard to scabbard fit. It looks off slightly, but could be not set right in the scabbard. The crossguards show what looks like wear and the grip is clean. Can't comment on the scabbard paint, but it appears new looking. The blade looks grayed, so there are inconsistancies.
            Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado
              I wish the pictures were more clear, but the handle is likely a replacement. It is coated with lacquer and only a couple makers are known for that. One picture shows the crossguard to scabbard fit. It looks off slightly, but could be not set right in the scabbard. The crossguards show what looks like wear and the grip is clean. Can't comment on the scabbard paint, but it appears new looking. The blade looks grayed, so there are inconsistancies.
              Thank you Jeff. I know the blade, crossguards, scabbard are original. Without a doubt. I am more concerned with the Handle. Did they ever issue SA daggers without the SA insignia? Partically after the night of the long knives. Cheers,

Comment

Tom, is it just the photo or is the color of the scabbard actually black? I've never seen an SA with that color scabbard.

As far as the grip goes, I would have to agree with Colorado about what appears to be a glossy lacquer finish. While the lack of a grip insignia somewhat bothers me, I can't say for sure that none were ever made that way. Maybe Skipper can respond to that.
                Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

Without even considering the lack of grip insignia, the grip is too "fat" in the middle. Someone did a pretty good job carving it, but I don't think it's a period grip. The black scabbard would simply mean it's an NSKK dagger instead of an SA - no problem with the color, but I agree that it looks like a repaint in the photos.

Hard to imagine how the blade got so graywhile the scabbard and grip appear almost new

Bottom line...I don't know when they did it, but IMHO the dagger has definitely been cobbled together out of parts or extensively worked over.

Sorry!
                  Skip

Comment

Originally posted by Skipper Greenwade
                    Without even considering the lack of grip insignia, the grip is too "fat" in the middle. Someone did a pretty good job carving it, but I don't think it's a period grip. The black scabbard would simply mean it's an NSKK dagger instead of an SA - no problem with the color, but I agree that it looks like a repaint in the photos.

Hard to imagine how the blade got so graywhile the scabbard and grip appear almost new

Bottom line...I don't know when they did it, but IMHO the dagger has definitely been cobbled together out of parts or extensively worked over.

Sorry!
                    Skip
                    I think it's my pictures. The blade is not gray at all. It is the lighting. The scabbard is not as black as you can see in the photo. I'll try and take some better photos. Cheers,

Comment

Hi Tom:

Like I said, the grip is not correct for dagger. Eickhorn had one of the fattest and it is not that fat. It's condition is like new when compared to the rest of the dagger. The ball is flattened and there is wear to the metal fittings. Also, better pictures would help, but usually with that much wear to the metal, one sees it on the scabbard and grip too.

Comment

Hello Jeff,

I am curios to the makers who coated their handles with laquer?

Frans

Comment

Hi Frans:

Some of the experts here might weigh in, but as far as I know the makers below are known for using lacquer on the grips.

AESCULAP
                          AUGUST BICKEL
                          HAENEL
                          HACO

Comment

From the photos, the paint on the NSKK scabbard almost looks like it's a matte finnish if I'm not mistaken. Are the scabbard fittings alum?

Comment

Interesting. Another although unlikely possibility, is that the grip was replaced with a NPEA grip. These have been seen with similar outstanding grain but I can't recall ever seeing that shape. The lacquer exterior may have been done post war. Can you disassemble and post a good clear close-up of the grip bottom, that may provide more clues.
                              www.lakesidetrader.com

sigpic

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X