dress bayonet and troddel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dress bayonet and troddel

I picked up this bayonet over the weekend and even if the bayo is in tough shape the troddel is minty. It has a brown frog, so was probably Luftwaffe as being the more common branch to use brown frogs.

I would like to know what the troddel is worth as I'll be putting this on the e-stand and haven't any idea of it's value.

Thanks, Chuck

picture 2

Comment

Picture 3

Comment

It is a very nice troddel indeed!BUT,it's a shame to seperate it from the frog if it's original to the piece.

Comment

I would price the knot in the $40.00 US range.

Given the respective condition of the bayonet, frog and knot, I doubt the knot is original to the piece...seems it would have been the first to go in terms of wear and that is definitely not the case here.

Skip

Comment

Yup never dawned on me. I did pick them up from a vet, so I suppose he could have easily put the two together. The bayo looks decent in the scabbard, as you can't see the resharp of the blade. Also the scabbard has a dent on the back side.

It's only saving grace is if someone wanted to dress up a luftwaffe uniform as it would look real good on the belt.

Chuck

Comment

I took another look at this bayonet today and you know it's the frog that doesn't seem right. The scabbard has it's paint complete other than a couple of small scratches. It has some lifting but its biggest problem is a dent it received on the backside. Even that bang didn't chip paint.

On the bayo itself, there are no cracks in the grips. The felt piece and the leather washer are still there. The only problems are some age lifting to the plating and the stupid resharpening. If someone hadn't tried to resharpen it, it would be a very nice blade by Paul Seilheimer.

The frog (brown) is unmarked. It is worn and definately used. It doesn't have any rivets, but even though worn none of the stitching anywhere has started to part. I did unwrap the troddel and the frog has even wear consistant with the rest of the frog, so my opinion is the troddel wasn't worn this way on this frog.

Just my observations.

Chuck

Comment

Hi Chuck: The scabbard looks like a repaint and the knot is definately not consistant with the rest.

Strange a Vet would know how to tie a knot on a bayonet after acquiring seperately.
                Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Comment

Thanks Jeff, I don't know, the paint appears ok to me. Well I paid $55.00 for the whole rig so if thw know is worth $40.00, I'll guess I'll keep the bayo for $15.00. You never know maybe I'll get a Waffenfrock someday and this will look great on the belt. Chuck

Comment

$55, well you did well!
                    Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X