Der Oak-Leaf Roon Sabers by Eickhorn- Nr. 1716

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Der Oak-Leaf Roon Sabers by Eickhorn- Nr. 1716

Eickhorn produced 3 distinct patterns of sabers, all of which were listed as model # 1716, and all referred to as the "Roon" by the Eickhorn firm. Of those 3 different style Nr 1716s, 1 model utilized the commonly encountered hand scrolled Wehrmacht eagle and NS symbol on the obverse langet. The 2nd distinct Nr 1716 utilized the crossed oak leaf sprigs hand scrolled onto both the obverse and reverse langets. The last distinct style of 1716 produced by Eickhorn utilized a single, upright oakleaf scrolled onto the obverse langet, with the reverse langet plain and unembellished.

Amoungst officers, the most common choice for purchase was the first style I listed- the 1716 with the Wehrmacht eagle embossed obverse langet. significantly less popular was the 2nd style I described with the crossed oak sprigs, and the least common was the pattern with the single upright leave. As such, Eickhorn produced the relative number of each saber based on demand. As such, the 1716 with the upright oak leaf was the least produced. I suspect officers who were not party members or who perhaps were not fans of the party opted for the sabers devoid of any Nazi pomp and symbolism.

An interesting point to note is that all hand wored sabers produced and sold during the reich were priced markedly high as opposed to their cast saber counterparts. You'll note some of the very nice tripple etched, blue panel and dedicated saber blades are often found on the hand scrolled style sabers because these were considered more "ritzy" sabers as the price was higher. About 3 or 4 years ago, Craig G. ended up with an incredible example of the 1716 pattern with the single upright oakleaf. The piece had a dedicated, etched, blue panel and gold inlayed leafs as blade embellishments. An overall incredible piece. I had seen the piece initially on eBay by a seller listed by a seller in San Diego- I don't have the stomach to spend that much on a collectible, but I must say the piece was stunning.

A number of different manufacturers produced Army sabers which were devoid of the NS eagle. Most of these featured some type of oak-leag langet embellishments. Over the years, a seperate collecting goal within another collecting goal was to collect each oakleaf embossed saber blade produced during the reich, from each individual Solingen blade firm. As of this point, I have tracked down and added about 12 individual sabers each which feature the oakleaf embellished langets. I'm certain there are more, but finding them is difficult. Some of these patterns of saber I have never been able to find referenced in any period sales catalogs or reference.

I'm a fan of these style sabers as I enjoy the crisp, traditional appearance of these. Below i've pictured the 2 oakleaf pattern 1716 produced by the Eickhorn firm. Finding these in excellent shape is not an easy task as so few were produced. It too my nearly 10 years to acquire both of these in the condition I strived for. So here they are.

Tom
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SwordFish; 02-16-2011, 01:51 PM.

Next
    Attached Files

Comment

Last 2 pics.
      Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X