Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SA Wusthof dagger

Hello all.
    First off...this site is an unbelievable find. Incredible knowledge base!

In reviewing these threads I've learned a bit about my own dagger.
    This of course has led me to new questions.
    Would you please take a look at the attached pictures and if possible shed some light for me?

Though there is no evidence on the blade, I've seen comments that the smaller stamp may indicate a ground Rohm. Is there any way to tell for sure?

Also the He stamp. What does this stand for?

What type of scabbard is this? Painted?

Lastly...I'm curious about the tip. My wife purchased this piece for me and had the opurtunity to speak to the Granddaughter of the gentleman that brought it back from France. She indicated that the blade was tipped before he was allowed to return with it. I'm wondering if it's more likely that it was tipped by the owner after Rohm was dishonored, etc. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Look like an 'anodized' scabbard with traces of the varnish remaining, blades being broken off is a tradition in Europe going back many 100's of years for defeated armies blades. Either those fittings are very nicotine patinaed or thats a Marine dagger....its hard for me to tell, most likley its not a marine one though. The bad news is with that blade tip broken the value drops off sharply. Maybe 400....personally I will not buy blades in that condition. Welcome to the site though! and thanks for sharing.

Comment

Thanks for the response Val.
      Looking closely, I see traces of a much more nickle color under the patina(on the edges especially) so I believe you're correct that it's not Marine.
      I don't mind the value drop from the tip as it just adds more questions and possible history to the piece which is one of the driving interests in collecting for me.

Any ideas about the "ground Rohm" possibility or what the "He" may stand for?

Comment

The "He" is the "gau" mark. This mark denoted the original issue location.

Here is a good read on SA daggers. Great info. A must read before purchasing one.
        http://www.lakesidetrader.com/sa.html

Comment

Originally posted by davidc View Post
          Thanks for the response Val.
          Looking closely, I see traces of a much more nickle color under the patina(on the edges especially) so I believe you're correct that it's not Marine.
          I don't mind the value drop from the tip as it just adds more questions and possible history to the piece which is one of the driving interests in collecting for me.

Any ideas about the "ground Rohm" possibility or what the "He" may stand for?
          'He' is a district mark from where this one was issued as explained already, I am of the opinion looking at what I can see in your photos that this is not a ground Rohm dagger. I agree with you though, it IS still an original piece of history and worthy of collecting on that merit alone. I wouldn't pay more than 350-400 for it though.
          Regards,
          Eric

Comment

I love Pauls info on SA's...I wish he would add to it a bit though. A very good dealer to work with!
            Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
            The "He" is the "gau" mark. This mark denoted the original issue location.

Here is a good read on SA daggers. Great info. A must read before purchasing one.
            http://www.lakesidetrader.com/sa.html

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X