Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS NCO sword or dagger knot

Greetings all,

picked this up some years ago. Was in it's original celaphane packet as well but it was pretty well falling apart at that stage. Mint as you'lll find. Just want to confirm it is a SS NCO sword OR dagger knot?

Thanks for any comments.

Cheers
    M
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

The answer for this knot depends on who you ask. Some, including many dealers, will say this is an SS knot. Sometimes we'll see a standard KS98 bayonet or sword adorned with such a knot being touted as an SS item.

Some will say it's purpose is yet undetermined. Some others will say it's a postwar item. One thing we do know is they seem to be of period construction. That said, there are a large number of them floating around in very minty condition which I say usually doesn't bode well.

Ultimately I don't believe there is any period article or picture documenting what this knot's purpose was.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I've had this for quite some time so not a new addition. I found one on Johnson's site for sale on a Police dergen with SS proofed blade but that doesn't really confirm anything.
        According to him it is a "late-war production knot discussed on page 611, of Exploring the Dress Daggers and Swords of the German SS by Thomas T. Wittmann. The knot features aluminum bullion straps with two sets of double black stripes, black/bullion, guilloche style slide, flat woven stem with black crown, aluminum/black acorn and black acorn insert"

Just found this after I'd already started the thread.

Comment

Tom Johnson is well respected with good reason & has good reason to be admired for all he's done for the hobby. That said, I'd be a little skeptical in general of such proposals for items that have no period identification.

This is the same process that labeled black gripped Luftwaffe daggers "funeral daggers" & the rare PSS police bayonets to be of SS origin. Sometimes you need to consider where a questionable item's description comes from & it will always behoove a seller (or dealer) to associate something obscure with a cool name or an SS affiliation.

I think the above observations are made in mind of some paying inordinate SS type prices for a dagger or bayonet with such a knot attached. The fact you are happy with the knot is all that is important in this case.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X