K98 Bayonet with swastika on handle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K98 Bayonet with swastika on handle

I picked this bayonet up on an online auction. I haven't received it yet but couldn't wait to find out if this was a good purchase for $100. I have yet to see one with the swastika on the handle like this one. Anyone see one like this or have any info on it? Is it for a K98? Age? Thanks!

Hi sorry to say it looks like some one just stuck a tinnie on the handle. I have seen this done on a few to try to make them worth more. Best regards.

Comment

Hello,

Your bayo was made in 1943 by the firm of E.&F. Horster & Cie.

The value of any edged weapon is 90% in the blade. Without clear photographs of yours the value is hard to establish. Do you know if the scabbard serial number matches that of the bayonet? If so the value of the item will be more than if they are not matched.

If the rig is in good condition, or with minimal issues, it's probably worth the $ you paid. If the grip plate, where that tinnie is attached, is damaged then the value starts to drop. So to if the blade is twisted or bent. When it's in hand take some good photos and add them to the thread for updated opinions.

Regards,
      Stu

Comment

This is an NSKOV- (National-Sozialistische Kriegsopfer-Versorgung) -tinnie.

I´d try to get undamaged grip-plates in such condition as shown on your bayonet and replace the others.

P.S.:
        Yes, it´s a Wehrmacht "duty"-bayonet 84/98 III

Comment

I'd have to agree with what's been said so far. The grip emblem looks like an NSKOV tinnie or membership pin that's been stuck into the wood grip plate. Seems like you can almost see a little wood in one of the pics near where a post might be.

Any grip emblem should be scrutinized heavily & always looked at skeptically until one can determine how it's been attached to the grip. Although bayonets with grip emblems did exist in the period, I think I'd be safe to say most were on dress bayonets. There's probably far more post 1945 embellished pieces out there than actual period items.

Comment

Thanks for your comments! I will post better close up photos when I get the bayonet. I was pretty certain that the emblem wasn't original to the bayonet as it looks awkward and in the way. I have two K98s and no bayonets. Maybe this will clean up nice and the tinnie wont leave a nasty scar. Thanks again!

Comment

A lot of vets did things like this.
              You see a lot of holsters and even pistols with medals or insignia pinned or attached some way.
              I'd leave it alone.
              MLP

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X