Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Dagger Scabbard Fits

Gentlemen,

For the past two years I've tasked myself with finding just the right SS dagger for my collection.

One of the hurdles I've run into is making sure that the dagger I choose has the best scabbard to cross guard fit (if that makes sense).

What do you consider to be an acceptable fit?

Thanks,
    Erich

Depends on vintage and maker to some degree. I have a couple and fits range from perfect to slightly off and there all early pieces. I would say as long as the angle isn't horribly off where it's displeasing to the eye than it looks bad. I'm saying I think theres no fine line draw

Comment

Originally posted by The Red Baron View Post
      Depends on vintage and maker to some degree. I have a couple and fits range from perfect to slightly off and there all early pieces. I would say as long as the angle isn't horribly off where it's displeasing to the eye than it looks bad. I'm saying I think theres no fine line draw
      Hi,

Thanks for responding. Speaking solely about early, Maker marked daggers, are there nay makers that are known for better fits and some known for worse?

Thanks,
      Erich

Comment

Not that I am aware of. I don't really think there are many patterns to fits.

Comment

Quality of fit probably has more to do with the individual craftsman building the dagger than the manufacturer themselves.

One can see vast differences in build quality and fit from even Eickhorn, the Prince of makers. One will sometimes see Eickhorn Rohms with very poor blade to crossguard fit whilst most have near perfect fit. Crossguard to scabbard and grip is generally perfect as their parts were custom manufactured and unique to them, so usually precise. Even small cottage makers who took individual care and pride in build will sometimes show gaps in metal fit due to the sourcing of parts from various sub contractors.

There are no golden rules that I'm aware of...

Red

Comment

If you are waiting for the SS dagger that has a perfect blade, great dark burnishing, perfect grip, the best anodizing, a handle that is not too skinny, and not to fat, a grip eagle that is not tilted one way or another, a runes button straight up and down, the perfect lower chape ball, and one that has the exact scabbard to lower crossguard fit............................... I too am looking for such an SS dagger............... for the last 31 years, and trust me I doubt that they exist. If it is only the crossguard to scabbard fit that you desire, chances are it will not have several of the above desirable features. As long as the blade goes all the way in the scabbard, the rest is trivial especially if a piece has everything else going for it.
            Last edited by JR.; 02-10-2011, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JR. View Post
              If you are waiting for the SS dagger that has a perfect blade, great dark burnishing, perfect grip, the best anodizing, a handle that is not too skinny, and not to fat, a grip eagle that is not tilted one way or another, a runes button straight up and down, the perfect lower chape ball, and one that has the exact scabbard to lower crossguard fit............................... I too am looking for such an SS dagger............... for the last 31 years, and trust me I doubt that they exist. If it is only the crossguard to scabbard fit that you desire, chances are it will not have several of the above desirable features. As long as the blade goes all the way in the scabbard, the rest is trivial especially if a piece has everything else going for it.
              Thanks for your advice JR., I'll keep that in mind during my search

Comment

And Thanks to everyone else who has replied, you've helped clear some things up for me

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X