Is the a "bad" Rohm Inscription?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the a "bad" Rohm Inscription?

I recognize the chances are about nil, but is this a good inscription?

regards, Robert
    Attached Files

Not the best photo, but can anyone take a stab at this who is familiar with the original Rohm pattern(s)?

Comment

Originally posted by RobertE View Post
      Not the best photo, but can anyone take a stab at this who is familiar with the original Rohm pattern(s)?
      Hard to judge from this pics!..

But the E+r of Ernst and the line above looks not bad.

Do you have close-ups of the inscription?

Comment

Im no expert but better pics are definately needed! Do you have pics of the whole dagger? The inscription does look quite good as already stated the only thing that sprung to mind to me is the blade looks quite dull, doesnt appear any crossgrain that could be just over cleaned or poor pics though..... JMO

Comment

Don't have many other pics, but I'm sure this is a parts piece. Just trying to figure out what parts may be good. regards, Robert
          Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Did these pictures help at all?

Comment

The one thing that sicks out is that the MM is too far from the cross guard for a Rohm.

Comment

The obverse etch is incorrect for Gottlieb Hammesfahr.

Comment

No doubt a genuine SS Rohm HONOR dagger with a damascus blade and the blue bathroom floor mat is from the eagels nest,I can tell by the blue swastika that show Hitlers footprint with a blacklight

Comment

Hi Robert,

I'm NO expert.... That said, I do have a few books on the SS Dagger and here is what I see in the books. In Thomas M. Johnson's book there are several photos of blades with the Rohm inscription. As was previously stated the mm was very far from the lower cross guard. However, there was a Richard A. Herder mm that was placed low with the Rohm inscription (photo on page 379 Volume II, German Daggers of World War II).

Then again... The SS Rohm Honor Dagger adopted 1934 never had a Decorated cross guard. The SS Honor Dagger adopted in 1936 had the decorated cross guard and a Damascus blade.

It looks like someone has been tinkering with this SS Dagger. The lower cross guard decoration does not look original. The 2nd oak leaf from the center on both sides looks to be close to parallel to the end oak leaf. However, on the original cross guards the 2nd oak leaf looks to curve more upward on both sides. With all this is question, IMHO I would not put much faith in the blade as well.

Kind Regards,
                        Don_

Comment

Don, thank you for taking the time to give this dagger such a thoughtful review. I was interested in the blade, handle, and pommel nut on this dagger, and believe the crossguards were worked over, postwar. So was the scabbard, which is leather covered.

If the blade is an original with a spurious engraving, I was considering it. If the whole dagger blade is a post-war fabrication, then I am not really interested.

From what I'm reading, the obverse engraving is not correct for this maker, which would mean the blade is replica.

regards, Robert

Comment

Hi Robert
                            I wish i was more qualified to give you a better answer, the fact is there arent alot of original honor daggers out there and the average collector with only a few years knowledge probably will have never seen one in the flesh thats why not alot of people have commented on this i presume..... that being said if the honor dagger only came into existance in 1936 then it would deffinately have not left the factory in 1936 with a Rohm dedication as even the mention of his name after the blood purge was a no go. I suppose that in itself would make the dagger bogus. I have 2 original Rohm daggers if you would like me to send you a pm with some photos for you to compare just let us know.
                            The only other rohm dedication i have seen that is really close to the original was on another forum a few months ago and was found to be a Reddick blade which to my recolection was almost identical to an original apart from the quality of the steel which was inferior to the original and had like a bluey tint in it, Im pretty sure it was an Epack if my memory serves me correctly but i cant be certain. This is all JMO so if im wrong someone please correct me!!! I hope i have been some help to you.
                            Regards Adam

Comment

Thanks for the continued help on this, fellows. I don't for a second think this is an honor dagger, but am hopeful some parts are good. I don't own it, just need to know if I should pursue it.

Erich, the MM looks to be in the same position on this ground Rohm as the one I introduced for discussion http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ttlieb+rohm+ss . Both look to be the same distance from the crossguard.

David, you comment for that the regular SS inscription is wrong for this maker is a deal-breaker for me. If the inscription in incorrect and there is no variation by this maker, then I'll move on. Are you sure? Could you PM me?

Adam, I appreciate your level of effort on my behalf. I don't think this is an honor dagger; the crossguards were probably butchered by an "artist" along the way as they don't have any similiarity to the quality crossguards used on the real thing. Really, I'm trying to focus on the blade and handle.

regards, Robert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X