• Show
Clear All

spring
    Attached Files

Comment

grips reverse
      Attached Files

Comment

On all my springs I have looked and never seen any WaAs on them. Was this only on replacement parts or early bayonets?

Comment

To answer you question about the spring stamping, I don't know if it is a sign of rework or not. Perhaps someone else knows. However, the Pack 40 dated scabbard spring should have the Wa stamp with the eagle wings straight out, as this does. Berg, would have the downturned wings as the grips show. Also, Pack and Berg(bayo maker) did have the same Wa stamp 253, as all Solingen firms did between 1936-40.

To me, it doesn't matter if this bayo was done post war or not. I thought I would persue this to see if anyone had anything to add. I bought it because I liked the look. It really is a beautiful piece. I know that a lot of GI's did chrome their "goodies" when they returned home. Thats a fact. But I'm not convinced that this set is.

Jeff

Comment

Erik

The scabbard and spring's like the rest of the bayo. can be split into the "normal" tree periodes meaning! Post,mid and late war production. Post war spring and mouth are mostly plated with I guess a zink plating against corrosion and normal no WaA will be found.
            Mid war spring's is blued and have normally WaA stampings on the mouth piece and one on each spring's. The WaA on the mouth are only found occasionally I should say.
            The late war springs as much other gear/equipments are mainly not marked so after imo 1943 only few parts are marked if any. No sign of rework regarding the WaA or the lack of those.
            Regarding the chrome plated bayo's that could be wartime but I doubt? As suggested GI/other's bring back goodies! Chromed for display.

My humble 2 cent
            Kim

Comment

I should maybe point out there are naturally a large margin of time where the different spring executions was fitted into the scabbards/bayonets. Blued spring's are found on early bayonets I think 1938/39 maybe before.

Regards
              Kim

Comment

On one of the bayonets one the first picture, some of the crome has started to flake off. And you can clerly see that the bluing have been removev before they vere cromed.

I have ones read abayt it in a book abaut bayonets, i will try to find the title.

I still thing that some of them vere cromed during the war. I have had 5 or 6 of these cromed bayonets, an all of them came from differnt places. Mostly off the estate of a dead person, One i got from a war museum. And one i got from an old man who told me he took it from the germans at tge end at the war.
                I know that this is now proff, but it is not proven that all of them is done postwar. And we dont have that many GI's here in Denmark.

/Glasmanden

Comment

I had both of my grandfathers serve in WW2(each on different sides). The US veteran had all of his weapons chromed, including an M1 Carbine. He was an avid hunter. He said that he had them chromed because it helped to protect the weapon from the elements and for ease of external maintenace and cleaning. It must have worked because his weapons look great to this day!!

Paul Reck

Comment

chroming

Hello members, it looks like the bayos are nice, i have doubts about the chroming in war period but the information from Jeff and Kim are correct, nice pieces correctly marked on grips and tangs, prior to 1941 was WaA stamped on really all parts without screws, later was this simplyfied. I have seen here in Europe a nice 44sgx piece ,that was chromed with a 41ddl bard, i assume that germans have not time in december or november 1944 switch from simply phosphate process to chroming, when this material was used on other parts like projectiles. i assume that postwar many people, that used this like a war display upgraded this items with chrome plating not only in USA, other pieces were etched to increase the value (fantasy SS units), while after war was this 98k valuable only like a half kilogram of metal. Dont forget that we made estimate about 17 Million of produced pieces. Offcourse many were destroyd on Sea, in wide area of Russia,Afrika and other places .best regards,Andy from BCN

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X