Luftwaffe Forestry Bayonet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luftwaffe Forestry Bayonet

Thought I'd share this with you. It's being discussed over at GDC at the moment, but any opinions would be welcomed.
    The origin and use of this bayonet seem not too well documented, it appears the Ch.A.W. mark has not been resolved 100% or even who actually wore it.
    This example is made by Alcoso, I'll post some more pics later.

Jim
    Attached Files

The Ch.A.W. mark.
    Attached Files

Comment

The trademark and serial number, the scabbard matches.
      Attached Files

Comment

There is some good information on these bayonets on pages 176 - 178 of George Wheeler's book, "Seitengewehr: History of the German Bayonet 1919-1945".

The bayonet was issued to the higher-ranking NCO's of the Forestry branch of the Luftwaffe. Most examples are marked with the distributor name - "Waffen-Loesche / Berlin on the ricasso on one side and the "Ch. A. W." (as seen on your example) on the other. The Alcoso maker mark is unusual, but proably not the 'kiss of death' for your bayonet if it conforms or the most part to other known examples.

According to George's book, the bayonet was worn with a brown frog and - interestingly enough - with the standard, aluminum 23cm portepee otherwise associated with Luftwaffe dress dagegrs.

According to Tom Johnson's sales catalog, they run between $695.00 and $875.00 depending, of course, on condition.

Hope that helps!
        Skip

Comment

Jim,

At the very least, a wonderful oddity. Was this the one with the grip plates reomved on GD? If so, I liked it a lot. Are the nuts holding the plates together original to the piece?

Comment

Originally posted by Billy G
            Jim,

At the very least, a wonderful oddity. Was this the one with the grip plates reomved on GD? If so, I liked it a lot. Are the nuts holding the plates together original to the piece?
            Billy, that's the one. As far as I can tell the bolts and nuts are original, they were very tight and difficult to shift. Also the gaps between them and the grips were filled with what looked like beeswax.

Comment

Hi Jim,

I do remember this piece and am glad it went to someone who appreciates it as much as you do. I love Luft Forestry pieces and unfortunately have yet to get one. Numbered units like yours are even better and the fact yours is by Wingen, well, it's a great piece on all fronts. I hope you're thinking about picking up a nice frog and knot for it, it's only fair.

Comment

Billy,
                I'd love to put the correct frog and knot on this bayonet, but what are they? I've never seen a picture of this bayo in wear, but it's suggest a brown frog and 23cm Luft dagger portepee are correct.
                I also think that Ch.A.W. meaning Chromolit Anton Winger is not correct, this bayo is markred Alcoso, a maker not distributor.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X