new member with postschutz dagger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new member with postschutz dagger

I recently found this dagger in my step father's storage. Whether it is authentic or not is unknown to me. Can anyone assist with this determination and any thoughts on value? It is not inscribed with an issue number nor the DRP stamp. It originally belonged to his father who was a postmaster of a small town on the German Belgium border. Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dave Cameron; 12-20-2010, 07:12 PM.

Looks interesting for sure. Will require more detailed photos of dagger and scabard. front and back of crossguard, grip emblem (inlaid or surface
    mounted?, it should be surface mounted ). Maker's mark should be Paul
    Weyersburg, Solingen. Portepee from the photo appears period.

Comment

Originally posted by David48 View Post
      Looks interesting for sure. Will require more detailed photos of dagger and scabard. front and back of crossguard, grip emblem (inlaid or surface
      mounted?, it should be surface mounted ). Maker's mark should be Paul
      Weyersburg, Solingen. Portepee from the photo appears period.
      A inlaided emblem can also be authentic.

Comment

As others have stated it is a Postal Protection Service dagger. As has also been stated better photos are needed to determine authenticity. If it is determined to be authentic (and I believe it is) value should be in the $4000-5000 range though others more in the know might disagree.

Comment

I'd say it's an authentic dagger. Late issue that's why it's un-numbered.
          The portepee (cord) is a scarce item and rarely found on postschutz daggers.

I had one that was mint, early, numbered and I could only get for it $5,000 in a better market than today. it's not an easy model to sell...unless it's - priced right-.

You didn't perhaps find his uniform ?

-wagner-

Comment

I agree that this is a beautiful piece that's probably late production issue. There was a time when collectors wouldn't touch an unnumbered Postschutz dagger but I think most have realized that there are plenty of them that are completely period & legit. I bought an unnumbered (& minty) Postschutz dagger from the American vet's family so I couldn't pass it up. This one with the portepee is just beautiful & has a lot of character.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X