HJ Dagger for review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HJ Dagger for review

A vets son I know wants to sell me this HJ dagger. The blade is marked RZM, m7/10 and 1939. The motto is mia, likely sanded off. The blade has soem sharpening on it. I am not sure if this is legit or not. What do you all think? Also if it is good, whats a fair price?
    thanks

Jeremy, It's a 'good' HJ knife IMO.
    A 1939 issue didn't have the blade motto's anymore.

These HJ knives were once rising rapidly in value. However
    recently there have been hundreds (from what I heard)
    sold to various dealers from an old collection. So there is quite
    a variety of them currently available at various prices.

The example you show seem like typical of examples that
    have a hard time finding a buyers in this market....unless the
    price is right. Ah Yes...the price....what would it sell for?
    That I can't say. But for comparison purposes you can take
    a look at 'Lakeside Traders' site. He has plenty there to see.

- wagner-

Comment

Originally posted by wags View Post
      Jeremy, It's a 'good' HJ knife IMO.
      A 1939 issue didn't have the blade motto's anymore.

These HJ knives were once rising rapidly in value. However
      recently there have been hundreds (from what I heard)
      sold to various dealers from an old collection. So there is quite
      a variety of them currently available at various prices.

The example you show seem like typical of examples that
      have a hard time finding a buyers in this market....unless the
      price is right. Ah Yes...the price....what would it sell for?
      That I can't say. But for comparison purposes you can take
      a look at 'Lakeside Traders' site. He has plenty there to see.

- wagner-
      Thank you very much wags for your confirmation. After posting this I looked at Lakeside traders site, and was looking there til now. I am also confident its real, and have an idea on value. I was just wondering because I consider these to be a minefield. Theres so many fakes out there. Unlike Sa daggers which I feel are much easier to collect.
      THANKS

Comment

Wags has said it all & i agree 100%, Good condition early hjs with mottos sell much faster in this current market than the later unmotted RZM hjs like this one shown imo.

Comment

I am not comfortable with the grips as original to the knife. I don't keep up with HJ's as much as I used to, but I don't recall Henckels using an obverse grip that had checkering that parallels the HJ insignia. Very few did, but that is common trait in replacements.

Note upper rivet, damage to reverse grip from said rivet and poor obverse grip fit.

Does the HJ insignia move inside the grip?
          Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado View Post
            I am not comfortable with the grips as original to the knife. I don't keep up with HJ's as much as I used to, but I don't recall Henckels using an obverse grip that had checkering that parallels the HJ insignia. Very few did, but that is common trait in replacements.

Note upper rivet, damage to reverse grip from said rivet and poor obverse grip fit.

Does the HJ insignia move inside the grip?
            Jeff, your right these griplates & rivets have been changed at some point & the griplates look to be made from plastic rather than the origional bakalite grips imo, also note the poor fit in the last pic.

Comment

Yes the insignia is a little loose. I was wondering why the grips had such a crappy fit. It looks like plastic to me as well. Eh, I will pass on this. I dont want something someone screwed up.

Comment

I have to agree with everything Jeff said about the poor fit of the grip plate as well as the bakelite around the top rivet. All would point to the knife having a plate (or plates) redone at some point IMHO. I scrutinize fire bayonets the same way.

Down through the years, people look to tart up previously messed up grip plates, some do a great job which are nearly impossible to detect. Some do less than stellar work as we see here. Considering the aforementioned as well as the sharpened blade, I'd agree with your assessment & look for another, better conditioned example.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X