Interesting Bayonet, unusual markings!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting Bayonet, unusual markings!

Picked up this bayo in a large collection of 1800's to WW2 militaria. When I quickly looked over everything I assumed it was just a small maker early k98. But when I got home and looked over everything the markings were not even close.

The eagle mark looks a heck of a lot like a Weimar Republic eagle. Same mark is on the ball of the scabbard, but I just couldn't get a shot of it without my micro-photo setup. #'s are technically a mismatch, but if you look closely, they match 2 out of 4!

The frog is a 1941 marked 3rd Reich one though.

I'm going to assume it's a Weimar bayo reissued for WW2. Anyone ever seen a Weimar bayonet? From what I gather they are quite rare!

Here's some pics and I eagerly await anyone's opinions on this one.

UPDATE: Managed to slide the frog off (leather shrank and I was afraid of dmaging it) and here' what I find stamped on the BACK of the scabbard: "S/155 1937 0.3960 k"
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Uberman; 12-16-2010, 09:51 PM.

Bayo markings, both sides
    Attached Files

Comment

Scabbard #'s and frog marking.
      Attached Files

Comment

BACK of the scabbard markings:
        Attached Files

Comment

I think it is Polish bayonet from between wars.

Comment

This is early production of Polish Army bayonet with German stamp.W.P it is mean Wojsko Polskie -Polish Army.
            Beast Pete

Comment

Interesting! trying to find some Polish bayo examples to compare this one with.

Also, upon even closer inspection, found under the SN on the scabbard a letter G or something like that. Here's a pic:
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Uberman View Post
                Interesting! trying to find some Polish bayo examples to compare this one with.

Also, upon even closer inspection, found under the SN on the scabbard a letter G or something like that. Here's a pic:
                The scabbard is for k98 bayonet.

Comment

Originally posted by rajko84 View Post
                  The scabbard is for k98 bayonet.
                  Scabbard has the same eagle marking on the ball as the bayo does on the blade. It's not a waffen stamp, so it wouldn't be a k98 bayo, unless Polish made them as well.

And yeah, now that I see, it is a Polish White Eagle indeed, guys.

Comment

Scabbard has the same eagle marking on the ball as the bayo does on the blade. It's not a waffen stamp, so it wouldn't be a k98 bayo, unless Polish made them as well.

And yeah, now that I see, it is a Polish White Eagle indeed, guys.
                    Can you post a good pick of it.

Comment

Originally posted by rajko84 View Post
                      Can you post a good pick of it.
                      I can post A pic of it, that's the best I can do. Not a professional photographer and don't have a $1000+ camera for ultra-micro shots :/
                      Attached Files

Comment

I can post A pic of it, that's the best I can do. Not a professional photographer and don't have a $1000+ camera for ultra-micro shots :/
                        IMO that is not Polish mark, but German stamp.

Comment

Looks like a Polish bayo re-fitted to German needs with an S84/98 S code scabbard with early droop wing Waffenamt mark. That letter under the scabbard serial number is the run sequence identifier. Check with SCHUPO, he'll know for sure.

Regards,
                          Stu
                          Last edited by Stu W; 12-16-2010, 10:57 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

After a quick spray of gun oil on the scabbard to clean off the rust and gunk in the tip, it DOES now look like a early German proof. I still don't see it a a waffen, but an earlier proof.

Possibly reworked/recaptured from German to Polish back to German? I don't recall seeing blued Polish bayos.

Either way, the frog is definitely German that was on it. Remove it or keep it on? it's not correct to the bayo as an early German or Polish, so I'm thinking it goes.

And thanks everyone for the advice and opinions!

Comment

Frog is correct for the scabbard...at least as to type although the years are different. I'd leave it on. Those early eagles were not accompanied by the WaA markings. They were on their own.

Regards,
                              Stu

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X