Daniel Herder Trench Knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daniel Herder Trench Knife

Anyone have any info on this maker? I will put up pics tomorrow. Has a brass button I believe its earlier than most trench knives.
    Regards
    I also posted in the imperial.

pics...The brass snap on the scabbard leads me to believe this is earlier than the typical 1916 trench knives?

Comment

IMO this is an WWI trench-knife like thousands more.
      Is there an acceptance stamp visible ?

It seemĀ“s, the scabbard was repainted.

Comment

Originally posted by Reibert-Austria View Post
        IMO this is an WWI trench-knife like thousands more.
        Of course it is. There are thousands of everything here we collect.
        With variations of date and makers.

This maker isnt as common...Ive been watching these for years...the maker I know has made razors and some other types of knives. Daniel Herder was founded in 1810, and was still going in Ohligs in 1928.

More info on this maker...the info doesnt pinpoint the date of manufacture great though...

The blade marking Ohligs should date the knife prior 1929, when this Solingen suburb merged with Solingen. Post 1929 made knives usually were marked Solingen or Solingen-Ohligs.
        The trademark of the ā€œcrown topped with a crossā€ has a special rank (?) in regards to the ā€œGermanā€ 1800s trademark laws, as it was one of ā€œpublic marksā€....

There is no acceptence stamp, which to me strengthens my feelings that this one may be from the start of WW1.

Do you see repaint?

Comment

No acceptance mark usually means: private purchased

Comment

I like this knife, probably is early private purchase, I have a similar knife without any makers mark and not as good quality.

Regards Neil

Comment

I really like it alot, its an early private purchase piece for sure. The ones with the marked blades are a lot harder to come across than just your plain jane issued ones. The handles look amazing and are similar to one I have that is very heavy due to the handles. I tend to lean towards a repainted scabbard as the medal is that light gray underneath, all my originals have a dark patina that has developed and some have that very old rust to them, this with the gray just screams that it was repainted and roughed up a bit at some point in its life to add validity to it having original paint. This is just my opinion. Great knife either way! Matt

Comment

Thanks for the opinions fellas...thats what I was looking for...as far as the scabbard some more info...
                previous owner received it all black, obvious repaint...he then used acetone until this layer of "original paint" was left, he said it was obvious there was a some original paint left under the new paint..which he said came off easy...but wouldnt touch this....

Wouldnt this remaining paint be original? How long before some aging comes back?
                Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by rick1 View Post
                  ... Wouldnt this remaining paint be original? ...
                  IMO: nope !

Comment

On HJ's amy original paint is often left around and under the leather hanger. Also an easy place to look for brush marks, which would indicate a repaint is around the hanger. As its assembled after the original painting in the factory

Comment

Originally posted by evilmike View Post
                      On HJ's amy original paint is often left around and under the leather hanger. Also an easy place to look for brush marks, which would indicate a repaint is around the hanger. As its assembled after the original painting in the factory
                      Thanks Mike no brush marks on the left behind paint. I'll try and get some better pics of that area...would like to reach a conclusion in case I sell.
                      Last edited by rick1; 12-06-2010, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Before and after. Can barely make out this paint underneath on the before.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X