No announcement yet.

Water police sword?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good point joe. I've seen zink pest on decorations (aka 'the crumblies') and know whereof you speak. Insidious stuff.

Does this eagle look cast or stamped?

And, do i need special tool to remove grip? Again thanks!

Comment

response from tom wittmann:

'Dear Dave,

Thanks for sending the pictures of the Police e.m. degen with gilded style eagle. The insignia seems to be a bit better quality than the norm - I think you said it was a Pet Dan Krebs piece? The original black paint seems to be in the backgrounds of the bird - something you don't see often and usually an indication of good preservation. I think the gilded look is probably original lacquer that has turned yellow over the years. I can not account for the look, if it is not lacquer.

It does not make sense to me that a company like Krebs that produced nearly exact cookie cutter duplicates for Himmler's Police and SS usage would have a special eagle for an enlisted man's degen - I know of no "special" models that were made for "River" or "Harbor" use, so I'll continue say its lacquer. The Krebs pieces were usually always marked with the SS Kulturzeichen acceptance stamping - I don't see variations fitting in with this company. They were the fair-haired boys to originally produce these degen for Police and SS, and since they must have been close to Himmler, I do not see them deviating from the rigid rules surrounding early production of these degen.'

Comment

the runes are on the guard and scabbard top, per usual with krebs...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X