Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by james m View Post
    Serge:
    My 1938 Eickhorn SS dagger has a nickle grip eagle as well.
    Jim
    Thanks Jim.
    OK. It looks all correct and a nice dagger.

-wagner-

Comment

I agree the dagger looks good. If you get it I'd think long and hard before I cleaned the "green" around the roundel.

Bob

Comment

Cleaning!

I never ever clean any of the items I get... I bought a salty Luftwaffe the other day and It was so dirty my hands were brown after handling it - but dirty it will stay!

Thanks again to all.

Hopefully I can reach a settlement on this Dagger.

JL

Comment

I do clean them if necessary. I don't touch the patina, I don't polish the blades. Normal dirt? Why not clean it? I don't think the original owner would be impressed seeing his dagger dirty. Aging signs add dignity, but what does the dirt add? Green gunk has to be removed (unless you plan to resell the item fast and want to show how "untouched" it is), otherwise it's gonna make serious damage to the metal surface, green gunk is a cancer.

Comment

Green?

777 do you mean the green (or verdigris as it has been called) around the Roundel?

I agree that anything that could damage the dagger while on display should be removed... But have never thought of doing a serious clean up of them. I do whip down the dagger with a cloth but thats about it...

Comment

Yes, the verdigris. It adds authenticity and actually looks cool, but if it rots the nickel silver around it, it's better to get rid of it.
              Wiping can be good enough in many cases. I got great results with spraying Ballistol first and wiping with cotton cloth, especially on dirty nickel plated parts.
              You know, the border between basic conservation and excessive cleaning is hard to set. I accept everything that makes no harm to the dagger and do please the owner's eye. After all we collect daggers for our joy, not the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by wags View Post
                a nickle grip eagle in a 1938 SS ?

-wagner-

Whats the problem?

Very nice dagger and 100% original!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X