WARNING - Another Flea-bay scam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WARNING - Another Flea-bay scam

Got burned for $2000 by a seller in the UK under the name "lythe-otter" and "lytheotter". Posted good dagger pics on Ebay for 4 daggers, Army, early S/A, RZM SS and DLV. Paid outside Ebay since the auctions got bounced. No sign of daggers or "Jane Simpson" or her daughter :Jamie Stevens" since then, although I got a package posted from the UK with some lead sheathing in it. Criminal police in the UK are investigating, they were operating out of the Taunton (UK) area. Anyone have any information or dealings with these two?? OF course neither Ebay or Paypal will assist because the items were bought outside Ebay afer the auctions were cancelled.

Thanks for any help.....investigating officer is "Simon.Hawkes@avonandsomerset.police.uk" if you have any information on these people.

If you paid with paypal, you should still be able to file a claim?

Comment

Agreed, a claim can't br filed with Eban because the transaction was done outside of them but can still be filed with Paypal. A note of warning, Paypal/Eban like to absolve themselves of any transaction involving things they don't like including but not limited to 3R items & ivory, anything "offensive to the world community".

Although this may not help you in this instance, Paypal should be used with a credit card as the payment source. In the event the item is not received, you can do a charge back though the credit card who will then open their own investigation exclusive of Paypal. Paypal doesn't like this because it takes them out of the driver's seat but that's a good thing as their track record in such scams is pretty poor IMHO.

Also, NEVER use a debit card as the source, stick with a credit card as it's much easier to obtain some remedy in the event of an issue. Good luck!

Comment

If the package had tracking, that was most likely an effort to cover themselves with paypal.
        In fact, it would cover them.
        Neither one of the user names you posted are valid.
        edit: I take that back, second one worked.
        0 feedback, member for 3 months.
        I won't say the obvious, but wow.

Comment

Many times the buyer outside e bay who asks for the deal after the bounce...(by the way wich is breaking the rules, and cheating) is the one who bounces the auction. Usually there is an e mail pm between the person who bounces , and the seller sometime during the auction... prior to the "bounce". That is to get the e mail address, so he can make an offer, and add condolences for the item being bounced. (sneaky ploy) . Personally I think you deserved being ripped off, for breaking the rules. Regardless if they offered you, or you offered them,you can't buy from a bounced auction legally on e bay, if they ever found out about it,that you did a deal outside the auction... you are in trouble. A lesson to all, to play by the rules, and not get greedy. Its greediness, and treachery that always gets people in trouble, and a testiment of your credibility. Tisk, tisk, shame on you , for also telling on yourself, and showing publicly how you not only tried to screw e bay, but screwed yourself in the end..that is a hint as to your own igerance, and then want to try and catch the guy(seems like you want your cake, and want to eat it too). (igerance is like ignorance, but deliberately done , fully knowing what you are doing, as ignorance is where you don't.) I have no compassion, as what you did was not O.K.. you got what you deserved, and should take it as a lesson in not yielding to greed. I hope you have this happen every time you do wrong, and should know better. BAD Karma will follow you for quite a while for this one, as anyone who thinks what you did was alright is a fool.

Comment

Buying overseas

Don`t!!! 99% bad deals. I`ve sold to overseas buyers after the check cleared.

Comment

I think the price tag would have made me run a mile , I'ts a simple scam this one , I was targeted recently by a very high tech one that told me i had been paid via paypal same page and everything ! i'ts lucky i'm cheap and double and triple checked i found it out , Paypal will no doubt be awkward , the legalities of these transactions with paypal i am not totally sure , their stance on such items is widely known , as stated previously EBAY wo'nt help (dont blame them either as the transaction is nothing to do with them)
              Just a shame whichever side of the fence you sit on morally with this one , our hobby continues to take it's daily beating in the scam department !

Comment

Originally posted by juoneen View Post
                Many times the buyer outside e bay who asks for the deal after the bounce...(by the way wich is breaking the rules, and cheating) is the one who bounces the auction. Usually there is an e mail pm between the person who bounces , and the seller sometime during the auction... prior to the "bounce". That is to get the e mail address, so he can make an offer, and add condolences for the item being bounced. (sneaky ploy) . Personally I think you deserved being ripped off, for breaking the rules. Regardless if they offered you, or you offered them,you can't buy from a bounced auction legally on e bay, if they ever found out about it,that you did a deal outside the auction... you are in trouble. A lesson to all, to play by the rules, and not get greedy. Its greediness, and treachery that always gets people in trouble, and a testiment of your credibility. Tisk, tisk, shame on you , for also telling on yourself, and showing publicly how you not only tried to screw e bay, but screwed yourself in the end..that is a hint as to your own igerance, and then want to try and catch the guy(seems like you want your cake, and want to eat it too). (igerance is like ignorance, but deliberately done , fully knowing what you are doing, as ignorance is where you don't.) I have no compassion, as what you did was not O.K.. you got what you deserved, and should take it as a lesson in not yielding to greed. I hope you have this happen every time you do wrong, and should know better. BAD Karma will follow you for quite a while for this one, as anyone who thinks what you did was alright is a fool.

Don't hold back. Tell us what you really think.

Comment

Originally posted by juoneen View Post
                  Personally I think you deserved being ripped off, for breaking the rules.
                  Really? Because he brokered a purchase outside of eBay after an auction was pulled he "deserves" to get screwed over?

Maybe I missed something in the previous posts......
                  Last edited by pbuchh7715; 11-01-2010, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pbuchh7715 View Post
                    Really? Because he brokered a purchase outside of eBay after an auction was pulled he "deserves" to get screwed over?

Maybe I missed something in the previous posts......
                    The point, I think, is valid.
                    The OP most likely reported the item to ebay so it would get pulled.
                    Before he did or soon thereafter, he sent a message to the seller, maybe requesting more pics or asking any general question, just to get his email address to the seller.
                    Auction gets pulled, they complete the transaction outside of ebay.

If thats the case, that is unscrupulous conduct, at best.
                    None of us, I doubt, are saints.
                    We have all succumbed to greed & temptation in one form or another,, And any time you bow to greed, you take your chances of getting screwed by someone even more unscrupulous - And it can be mighty hard to complain about it when it happens.

Comment

I have had a few guys kick my adds off then come back later and low ball bid it. It is a bad deal.I do not mean this is the case here but it does happen.
                      Last edited by David Guist; 11-01-2010, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Amazing...

Wow, some of you guys are just vicious. The guy lost 2K, got on here to warn others about the scammers so they wouldn't suffer a similar fate, and he gets lambasted and told he deserved to get screwed over by criminals....

Nothing like kicking a fellow when he's down!

Comment

I have no compassion, as what you did was not O.K.. you got what you deserved, and should take it as a lesson in not yielding to greed.
                          WTF

I personally have cheated (God save me). I am a careful and cautious businessman. I got burned once for $300. and I learned the game.
                          According to some zealots, there's a place in hell for me, all bought and paid for.
                          Yielding to greed.....do I hear an AMEN!
                          Good one.
                          I suppose someone here always pays retail+ and sleeps at night with the conscience of a virgin angel.

Charming as always,
                          Frank

p.s. EBAN is full of vermin and caters to the unwashed masses. BUYER BEWARE

Comment

Nothing like kicking a fellow when he's down!
                            Copy that William

I hope cjs dad finds some resolution here, but I doubt it.
                            Learn to protect yourself and next time you make the rules of the transaction. If the seller can't play by your rules, drop the deal.
                            I hope you all know that the same scam can work right here on our own e-stand. If you get ripped off the worst that can happen is that the seller gets expelled, as far as WAF protection.
                            How many people here use Paypal????
                            Put that in your pipe and smoke it
                            Frank
                            Last edited by fdodge; 11-01-2010, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Ebay

I'll be honest guys, I'm longing for the day when Ebay totally eliminates the WW2 German catagory from their listings!! It's gotten where they kick off half the stuff anyway and the other half is fake. That would eliminate one avenue of sales for these fakers that are coming out of the woodwork. When non collectors have no place to sell that "junk" their grandpaw brought home then they will contact the closest collector they can find. That my friend would be guys like some of us who advertise buying.

On another note, good luck in your quest to retrieve your money. Alex

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X