P vs D Guards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P vs D Guards

I'm gaining an interest in German Imperial Swords (and sabres). I noticed that many have the "P" guard but once in a while I find one with a "D" guard. For example, a local antique store has a rather plain NCO sabre with a "P" guard and a Bavarian Officer's Lionhead sabre with a "D" guard.

Is there a reason why some have "P" guards and some have "D" guards or was it simply buyer's preference?

If you have any ideas, please respond to the thread.

Carl C

It is the regulation style of the sword that dictates which kind of guard is found on swords. For instance, P guards were often used by Prussia and D guards were often used by Bavaria. Most post 1933 military swords have P guards while civil swords often have D guards.

Comment

Originally posted by SCHUPO View Post
      It is the regulation style of the sword that dictates which kind of guard is found on swords. For instance, P guards were often used by Prussia and D guards were often used by Bavaria. Most post 1933 military swords have P guards while civil swords often have D guards.
      That's right on the money!

With the additional observation that they sometimes were smaller versions of the government issued enlisted man’s swords. And that the different German states (depending on the time frame) either had their own or tended to follow another state. And sometimes copied the designs of another country such as France.

All of which makes for a lot of diversity which is what is seen in period sales catalogs. FP

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
      X