Question about the portepee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about the portepee?

I got this Imperial sword yesterday, and this portepee was on it. I know this is not correct port. for this sword. So any information about this port. would be appreciated.

thank you

regards Rajko
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Unless I'm missing something...it looks like a Army 3rd Reich dagger portapee.

-wagner-

Comment

Originally posted by wags View Post

-wagner-
              It has a gold finish not silver. Pictures make it look silver.

Comment

HMmmmmmmmmmm.....

I would agree.

Originally posted by wags View Post

-wagner-

Comment

Ok, let try this.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I hope that the pics show the true color of the portepee. It looks more gold then silver. Could it be navy? Any other opinions?

Comment

IMHO Navy is usually more intensive gold and the difference is obvious, but Navy portepees are not my speciality - opinion is based just on observation of the few Navy daggers that I've had.

Comment

The black lines in the knot's stem seems to be a scarce variation sometimes seen on Heer dagger portepees. If it is, in fact, a Heer dagger portepee, I'm wondering why the bulb is so much larger that it's counterpart next to it. Anyway, whatever it is, it's color isn't the type of gold that a Naval portepee would be IMHO.

I'd say the reason for the color differential is tarnish. I have many bayonet knots (particularly Feuerwehr knots) that have their silver portions tarnish all shades of gold.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy G View Post
                            The black lines in the knot's stem seems to be a scarce variation sometimes seen on Heer dagger portepees. If it is, in fact, a Heer dagger portepee, I'm wondering why the bulb is so much larger that it's counterpart next to it. Anyway, whatever it is, it's color isn't the type of gold that a Naval portepee would be IMHO.

I'd say the reason for the color differential is tarnish. I have many bayonet knots (particularly Feuerwehr knots) that have their silver portions tarnish all shades of gold.
                            I had some of the knots that got tarnished, but the condition of them was not the best, and there were parts of it which were tarnished more than other parts.
                            But this one is too much unified in the gold color, for me to believe that it was silver at one point. But I am not sure. I just cannot find any traces of the silver on it.

Comment

Rajko,

I have at least 2 dozen fire bayonet knots that are heavily tarnished but in otherwise mint condition, maybe more. The tarnish could have to do with atmospheric conditions or ultraviolet light in an area as opposed to actual wear & tear on a knot.

Here's a suggestion, try to peek underneath one of the cords on the bulb. Only do it if you can avoid doing damage but if the color is the result of tarnish, it won't be colored underneath.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X