your opion about ww1 knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello
    The knife and the scabbard are original but one of the grips has been replaced and the transversal leather strap is missing
    Regards
    Iván

Comment

this is very helpfull ivanjoaquin! i will think about it if i will buy this knife, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ivanjoaquin View Post
        Hello
        The knife and the scabbard are original but one of the grips has been replaced and the transversal leather strap is missing
        Regards
        Iván
        I can't see a replaced grip from the pictures posted. It looks like a real knife that's had the blade blued. They weren't blued when they were new.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim L. View Post
          I can't see a replaced grip from the pictures posted. It looks like a real knife that's had the blade blued. They weren't blued when they were new.
          You're right Tim, the two grips are original, sorry for the mistake
          Regards
          Iván

Comment

bleud what does that mean (with heat)? what did they do to it and is it final?

Thanks again for your comments, i'm new at this (and here) and learning as i go.

Comment

Originally posted by Michel72 View Post
              bleud what does that mean (with heat)? what did they do to it and is it final?

Thanks again for your comments, i'm new at this (and here) and learning as i go.
              Hi,

Originally the blade would be bright metal and the hilt painted black. The one in your pictures was treated with chemicals to "blue" it. This style of knife is very common, and if you want a typical WWI example I would pass on yours.

Here's a typical example
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Tim L.; 09-09-2010, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Hi,

Originally the blade would be bright metal and the hilt painted black. The one in your pictures was treated with chemicals to "blue" it. This style of knife is very common, and if you want a typical WWI example I would pass on yours.

Here's a typical example
                This is very clear. I want a typical ww1 example but one that is good. I will pass on this one, and continue to look for one.

Thanks Tim, and the one in your picture looks great.

Comment

This is very clear. I want a typical ww1 example but one that is good. I will pass on this one, and continue to look for one.

Thanks Tim, and the one in your picture looks great.
                  I think that's a good idea to look for a different knife. Besides being blued, looking at the pictures again I'm pretty sure the knife isn't from WWI. The quality isn't what you'd expect to see.

Comment

I think that's a good idea to look for a different knife. Besides being blued, looking at the pictures again I'm pretty sure the knife isn't from WWI. The quality isn't what you'd expect to see.

Hope you don't mind me going on about this, but i really want to now more about these things.

What do you mean by "the quality isn't what you'd expect to see" what should i be looking at, which things are you looking at?

Comment

Hope you don't mind me going on about this, but i really want to now more about these things.

What do you mean by "the quality isn't what you'd expect to see" what should i be looking at, which things are you looking at?
                      No problem. The quillion on yours doesn't look quite right to me. The long end is too flat looking, they're usually more round. Also, the grips don't fit very well where they meet the quillion. I would also expect the grooves on the grips to look crisper too, even if they were worn down a little. The finish on the wood doesn't look right to me. The fact that the whole knife is blued is odd, I've never seen any WWI knife that was blued.

Here are some of your pictures (in case your links stop working).
                      Attached Files

Comment

Now check out these knives and how much better the grips look and fit, and the shape of the quillions.
                        Attached Files

Comment

This style was used in both world wars. The two with the lighter grips have WWII era boot clip scabbards. The three with leather belt loops are WWI era. There's not a good shot of your scabbard, but it looks like it never had a cross strap, which would be wrong. The wear on the paint looks like it might be faked, the bare metal that's showing doesn't have any patina. Does the leather on your scabbard have rivets like these? That would be a clue if it's a fake. It also looks like the leather strap on yours is rough side out, it should be smooth side out.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Beautiful collection Tim! Thanks for the posts & pics, learned something new today
                            Greg

Comment

Originally posted by aff96 View Post
                              Beautiful collection Tim! Thanks for the posts & pics, learned something new today
                              Greg
                              Thanks Greg.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X