here is one of my favorites

Name

I still have not found out what this name is

Comment

Lower fitting

Really nice touch for this dagger

Comment

Dear Bob,

The name is Sakhalin, also transliterated as Saxalin, an island north of Japan. At least the southern tip belonged to Japan which lost it in WWII to the USSR and now claims it back if I remember it correctly.

Indeed there were/are "BBC" bases there; i even met an individual who was stationed on Sakhalin. Apparently, the owner of the dagger was also stationed there.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
        Al

Comment

Al.
          thanks for the info.

Comment

Bob: this is certainly an "out of the ordinary" piece!!!! Sakhalin island might narrow down units, I don't know, but what is the date on the blade, or which model national seal is that on the pommel? I can't count the ribands on the left side, the scan's too small. Rick

Comment

Al Thanks

Al,
              thanks for the info. I bought it about 5 years ago, on ebay for 50.00 dollars. I have had a few russian people look at it and they couldn't tell me anything.

thanks

by the way, my Grandparents were from Nuremburg. They moved to wurzberg in the 20's

Comment

Rick

Hey Buddy.

here is the info.

Blade:

Maker: ZIK
                Date: 1950
                Serial: N 2395

Pommel:

Based on the slashes?. or Republic's ( 15). Now do you count the lower one?? flat one that is?? i have heard you do, but then again i have been told this is all hogwash

bob

Comment

For a nice clear view, I've brought up the ancient International forum thread on Soviet Generals' buttons, showing the Soviet State Seal changes, same seal found on the dagger pommels.

Yup, one at the base of the bow knot, plus 5 on either side (1939-46), 8 on left, 7 on right (1947-56) and 7 on each side (1957 to end).

1950... Sakhalin... Korean War... oooooo, top of the line! Are your GERMAN blades thas good as your Soviet ones?

Comment

Rick, i collect ALL dress daggers

Comment

Rick, if the " bow " is added then make it 16

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X