1895 (?) Pioneer Bayonet - need some guidance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1895 (?) Pioneer Bayonet - need some guidance

This beast measures 24.25 inches. Both the frog and scabbard are in great shape. It’s blade seems almost flat on one side while the side having the fuller and markings is contoured.

I'm hoping for folks with a clue to help me ID this.

Thanx in advance. Rick
    Attached Files

Scabbard is marked with a ‘P’ in two places at the throat. Also, at the tip of the scabbard there’s a cross similar to the DRK cross.

Frog is stamped with a rectangular box having a cross (again, almost a DRK cross) and a ’J’ as well as a maker mark having an oval with ‘H. von Alacch over Thon?' and '1941’ between these. Scabbard is in nice shape with no dings I can see. Most of the paint remains.
    Attached Files

Comment

Here are the locations of the cross that appears almost like a DRK cross.

The blade is stamped ‘Waffenfabrik Neuhausen’ and the guard, again, has that same stamped cross.

The dumb question of the day is - why would, what appears to be an 1895 Pioneer bayonet (a friend related these sawbacked blades were for Pioneers) have it’s frog dated ‘1941’?

I'm not a blade guy let alone a collector of stuff this early so any guidance would be a huge help. Thanx again! RC
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Rick C; 08-07-2010, 07:10 AM.

Comment

This one is Swiss Model 1914 Pioneer Bayonet .The Model 1914 differs from earlier sawtooth models with the addition of the bulge at the end of the blade. Also, the 1914 is fullered on only one side. Issued with Schmidt-Rubin Models 1911 Carbine and K31.
        The Model 1914 was issued to only select troops. When issued with K31s the were issued to:
        - Engineers
        - Driver Corporals and mounted artillery Sergeants
        - Blacksmiths, blacksmith Private First Classes or lance corporal, blacksmith Sergeants.
        - Horse transport soldiers, PFCs, corporals and sergeants
        - Saddle makers
        - Drivers for Motorized Field Artillery.

Comment

Hello Rick, What you have is a Swiss model 1914 pioneer bayonet. It was issued to engineers,mounted artillery sargeants,blacksmiths,etc. The cross that is stamped on it is the Swiss cross. These bayonets had a pretty long service life with the Swiss military and are fairly common at this time. I can't be much help with the other markings except that Waffenfabrik Neuhausen is the armory that manufactured the bayo in Neuhausen,Switzerland.

Hope this helps,
          Jim

Comment

Fantastic information guys. Thank you. I'm hoping I can learn more now that you guys have given my the start I needed to play google on this.

What's with the 1941 reference on the frog?

Also, I'm wondering, if anyone has a thought on this, what are these things might be valued at as, eventually, since I'm not into this period at all, it will probably go on the stand.

Thanx again for all the information! Rick

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X