Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comparison of three LW fighting knives

Hello gentlemen
    The other day I got a variation of a LW fighting knife which I have never seen before!
    Homemade was my first impulse or somebody who wanted the cross guard to look like the M1916 French “Vengeur” fighting knife and had brought out his file. When I started to examine the knife more careful I am not so sure any more.

The blade is genuine marked with more unusual no 6 and the grip seems to be original and properly fixed with properly fixed rivets.

I don’t think anybody removed them after the war, changed the crossguard and replaced them!

My first idea about grinding the crossguard was wrong, because the crossguard is longer than standard, as you can see from the pictures.
    I show you some of my other LW fighting knives for comparison.
    Has anybody seen this type of crossguard on such a knife before?
    Olof

Attached Files

There are slight variations between the "S" marked, the "5" marked, and the "6" marked.

Comment

The crossguard on image one, and the crossguard on pic 3, (the upper one), are not genuine German WWII-made !

Post ´45 in Skandinavia German WWII fighting-knive´s were used again.

Skandinavian countries also found, (got), some stocks of former french poignards Mle.1916, (formerly used in the Wehrmacht).

Probably you have such assembled knive´s there ? ...

P.S.:
      The fighting-knive´s of the Wehrmacht-Luftwaffe never came with washer´s !
      Last edited by Reibert-Austria; 08-01-2010, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rbminis View Post
        There are slight variations between the "S" marked, the "5" marked, and the "6" marked.
        Never heard ´bout that ...

P.S.:
        There´re also "W"-marked and completely unmarked Kampfmesser der Luftwaffe !
        Last edited by Reibert-Austria; 08-01-2010, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Reibert-Austria View Post
          Never heard ´bout that ...

P.S.:
          There´re also "W"-marked and completely unmarked Kampfmesser der Luftwaffe !
          I notice some slight variations in quality of construction, not in parts used. Sorry, do not own a "W" or unmarked to compare.

Comment

Thank you gentlemen,
            I have had both marked 5 which are the most common knives of this type and with 6 are more rare. The other knife is marked with S (more rare) and there are W which also are rare.
            This knife does not come from Scandinavia like so many other German knives. I have seen many of these and of M1916 in Norway.
            Let me emphasize that this is NOT a M1916 cross guard but it reminds about it.
            I cannot see that anybody messed with the grip or rivets and the wood has the right grain and patina. The jury is still out there……

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X