Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DAK 98K Bayonet ?

singularly frog~~

I don't think it's DAK. Most of the tropical gear was canvas. The light brown color of the frog doesn't necessarily imply tropical or DAK.

Speaking of the frog, it doesn't appear to be a Third Reich-era 98k frog. The opening for the frog stud should be on the front of the frog and the top of the front piece of leather appears to have a dip in it (it should be straight across the top). Looks like someone cut an opening in the reverse of the frog on this one. I can't even hazard a guess as to why...

Another one for the "What-in-the-world-is-this?" file, IMHO

Sorry not to be of more help!
    Skip

Comment

Just a thought.....is the frog canvas or whited leather?..in that case it could be a weimar/early nazi policefrog ?....maybe the Dip in front of the frog indicades it is for a clamshell dresbayonet?..

No expert on the matter

Jacob from Drenthe

Comment

Frog is very familiar....

Hate to say it, but I'm pretty darn sure the frog is a damaged late war stiff canvas Japanese bayonet frog, with the retaining strap lost to time. The Japanese bayonet scabbard had a loop for a strap to pass through rather than a stud like the German types, so the hole in it was simply added to accept the 98K bayo scabbard.

Comment

I beleive it to be a Japanese frog for a late bayonet often associated with the Naval Type 99 special rifle wfg

Comment

It possibly could be a late war rubberized canvas Japanese frog.. That has lost its' scabbard attaching strap and buckle..wfg

Comment

bard

The bard is not german, probably a FN M1924 bard? , the bayo could be german portugal M37 export pattern, when any WaA 253 or 883 on pommel could be found.But i assume more its a unknown export sneak bayonet, without typical german flashguard on grip.best regards,Andy from BCN
              Last edited by AndyB; 03-08-2004, 06:47 AM. Reason: no flashguard

Comment

Skipper G is right again

My uncle Jones was with the 34 th field artillary 9th Inf Div and landed in Casablanca North Africa. He has a 98 bayonet that he picked up near the Kasserine Pass and it has a sand colored frog made of canvas.
                Hes close to 90 and has a footlocker full of goodies but wont part with anything. I gave up trying along time ago so Ill have to bait my cousins in the future.
                His commanding officer was Col William Westmoreland,later Gen Westmoreland chief of staff.

Skippy

Comment

Skippy,

Make sure you keep an eye on that footlocker!

Skip

Comment

Like a buzzard over a dead stear -----Skippy

Comment

I'd also say Jap. That frog looks identical to my Nambu rubberized canvas holster.

Jim

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X