Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tying the knots

Greetings Forum!

Many times it seems like we get daggers with no knots and really want to complete them. If you are like me, you are don't know how to tie this knot. I was wondering some of the more learned among us could share their tricks of the knot tying trade so we could have a permanent mini database on how to tie them correctly. Any insight/step by step on how to tie a heer, luftwaffe and of course, the dreaded Kriegsmarine,as well as instructions on putting a knot on dress bayonets would be much appreciated.

Maybe if this takes off, we could have it pinned to the top for future ref? Just a few ideas.

Thanks in advance for your help.

heres a tip for the kriegsmarine , do it backwards an take the pommel off . then you dont have to thread the ball through . hope that helps

Comment

ok great! Keep it coming guys!

Comment

Hello
        Here are 2 ways of tying a knot. The first one is the most common and the second one is for Polizei.
        In the book "German bayonets 1919-1945" from George T. Wheeler you can find a lot of information about knots.

Best regards from Paris
        Alain

Comment

Great! Thanks!!! Anyone have any suggestions for Heer?

Comment

same as the navy mate , do it backwards

Comment

Here is a reference page on tying knots onto bayo frogs.

I have no idea of where this came from though it must be from some sort of contemporary reference book (contemporary being post-1945). Unfortunately I cannot give credit where credit is due and I don't even recall who e-mailed it to me. I believe I also have additional pages on dagger and saber knots, likely from this same source. I'll see if I can find them.

T
              Attached Files

Comment

Tom,

The font from your posted page looks similar to that from the excellent tome "Seitengewehr", written by George Wheeler a member of both G D & WAF.

Comment

Bill,

I think you're right. After some thought, I do believe George sent it to me. Us sword guys..we stick together. I was thinking it was either George W or George L who sent it.

Tomo
                  Last edited by SwordFish; 08-04-2010, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Zack-

Forgot to mention that GDC has an entire sub-section entirely devoted to dagger and saber accoutrements.

Here is a link to a quick search I did on the GDC archives using "how to tie a dagger knot":

http://forum.germandaggers.com/ubbthreads.php

and here is the link to the entire sub-section on the site:

http://forum.germandaggers.com/ubbth...oard=41&page=1

Check it out. Alot of useful info for edged weapons guys.

T

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X