What not to do or to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What not to do or to do

I'm not really an edged weapons collector, but when I noticed how relatively inexpensive some blades were compared to the decorations I was buying I decided to get a representative group. So far I have Heer, KM, and 2nd pattern Luft daggers, a RAD Hewer, and a KM sword.
    I know a little bit about displaying them. Right now the KM sword is hanging on two metal hooks which are taped to prevent "metal on metal." The daggers are on a pine shelf covered with one layer of velvet. The Hewer is just around.
    I'm going to be moving into a new house in a few weeks and will have room to display these anyway I want. My questions are: Is there anything I'm doing wrong so far, or is there anything I absolutely don't want to do regarding displaying these items? What is the best way to display edged weapons?

George
    George

Hi George,
    I have my daggers hanging on the wall in glass cases with foam and felt inserts. Like medals and badges, I would say if possible it's best they're in cases, but I would say in any case to make sure direct sunlight can't get at them. The wood grips could fade, and maybe other materials as well.

Greg
    sigpicFacebook "Tigers in the Ardennes" book page
    www.facebook.com/TigersintheArdennes

Comment

George,

Any way you want is the best. I display mine in the scabbard. But i have a climate controled house, and i check them weekly when i dust. you might want to make/buy plastic stands and display them out of the scabbard. it looks nice.

Bob

Comment

Hi George,

I agree with Bob's take that if you can't check your collection regularly, it's probably best to display the daggers out of the scabbards. For the most part, once I buy a dagger, it never goes back into the scabbard - personal preference based on the fact that most scabbards (the Navy patterns being notable exceptions) have flat springs in them that can eventually lead to runner-marks or scratches on the blades. The Navy's normally have wooden runners in them, which can trap moisture and hold it against the blade - may result in spotting if left unattended for long periods!

Most of my daggers are stored in gun safes in the zippered, pistol-rug type soft cases. The scabbard goes in a sock and the dagger itself just goes in the case right beside it. There is usually room for the portepee and hanger(s) as well. I make up a tag with the dagger description on it and attach it to the zipper so I can find what I'm looking for. I have others in the wooden display cases one generally finds at shows. The 12"x18" size, about 1-1/2" deep works well, allowing you to lay out the dagger, scabbard and accoutrements along with a badge, medal, cap eagle or other item(s). They stack neatly in the safes and don't take up a great deal of room.

I have also made display cases for several of my prized pieces. I will try to post some photos in the not too distant future to give you a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Skip

Comment

Sounds good!

"I have others in the wooden display cases one generally finds at shows. The 12"x18" size, about 1-1/2" deep works well, allowing you to lay out the dagger, scabbard and accoutrements along with a badge, medal, cap eagle or other item(s). They stack neatly in the safes and don't take up a great deal of room."

I like this option!

George
          George

Comment

Hi George
            I own a 1st model Lufft & a Swimmer SA

I found Tom Whittman & Gailen David helpfull in answering my Question , As well as the Boys @ German Daggers.com were very forth comming in sharing the do's & donts
            ~Buddy~

Comment

George, et.al,

I am going to attempt to post a photo of one of the display cases I mentioned in my earlier post. This one features a First Luft dagger by Puma complete with a Puma quality control tag tied around the pommel, a 23cm portepee still in the original cellophane and a belt-loop. The badges & decorations include a Spanish Cross in bronze, LW Ground Assault & Air Gunner/Radio Operator badges, Transport clasp in bronze and Reconnaissance clasp in gold. I opened the case to prevent glare from the glass.

The photo quality could certainly be better, but hopefully you can get some idea of how well these cases allow you to display your 'stuff'.

Hope this works ! ! !
              Skip

Last edited by Skipper Greenwade; 05-09-2002, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Skip

I can't see your picture, but I'm already planning my cases -- one each for the Heer, Luft, KM, RAD, and (soon) SA blades!

George
                George

Comment

Last edited by Frank Mills; 11-15-2003, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Frank

the maker is in the middle of the rarity chart. if you weant anything else answered email, me I live in Tacoma

Bob

Comment

George,

Sorry about the photo. My computer skills are just a little above those of a chimpanzee - I don't seem to have the patience for anything much more advanced than typing, sending e-mails, etc. My wife has promised to work with me on posting photos this weekend, so I'll keep trying.

Frank,

I agree with Bob - Shuttelhoffer is a moderately rare maker, but they did turn out a good product. If the dagger is in nice condition, I would keep it. The orange gripped daggers are very attractive, 2nd Luft's are still on the 'affordable' end of the spectrum, and I like having my money in common daggers in very nice condition

Best
                      Skip

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X