Knuckle dusters / Trench knives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knuckle dusters / Trench knives

Which countries had used trench knives and/or knuckle dusters on battlefields?

I know for these three trench knives, but I'd like to hear something more about them!

First is U.S.1918 used for WW I. for battles in rows, second is British Commando BC-41 and third is Death's head.

Can anyone tell anything more about them, where were they made, showing you'r own maybe; also for all knuckle dusters(brass knuckles)

And please(), correct me, if I'm wrong at anything I've wrote.

The US mostly used the M1917s and the M1918s trench knives. The M1918 were often reissued during the 2nd World War. Various companies manufactered them, most noteably LF&C, based in the USA. OCL, also an American company manufactured the trench knives. Au Lion, a French company produced the Mark-1918s also.

As far as quality, I vote for LF&C. Both my 1917 and 1918 patterns are from LF&C.

Aside from the most recognizeable patterns listed above, there were a variety of other international companies manufacturing various style trench knives- knuckle duster type- for use with the UK mililtary, etc.

The image of the M1918 you posted is obviously a reproduction piece. There are a fair number of reproduction examples of the 1917 and 1918s out there. They are generally easy enough to spot if one knows what he's looking at.

Hope this helps a bit.

Comment

Here is two Knukle dusters from my collection. The AC.CO dagger is a spesial one. All of this types have rounded handle with finger grooves. This one is plain with no finger grip into the grip.
      If other colelctors have the same dagger , please post some pics of it .
      The other is a LF & C maker.
      Hope you like them

regards LH

[/img]

Comment

I went to highschool with a guy who's father was an early "ranger/sf" in the army and he was issued the M1918 pattern for use during the battle of Guadalcanal (If memory serves me it was Guadalcanal..but I suppose it could have been Saipan as well- i'm getting old so forgive me).

Here's an M1918 LF&C of mine. These are not the easiest pieces to find anymore. This one was quite inexpensive and bought some years back. 1 of the scabbard grommets is missing and some of the blueing is missing on the blade. I don't recall what the alleged history on this piece was but I do know it was an issued item that was never returned after the 2nd World War. My M1917 was a non-issued item. It came from the MGM Studio lot sale. It was a prop the studio had bought- 100% legit, made by LF&C, and sold by MGM I believe in the 1970s when they were clearing alot of thier props out, perhaps during the sale of the company. I bought it from a member actually here on WAF. The scabbard has a makeshift repair from some former owner which I havn't gotten around to having correctly repaired.

LH- nice examples of the 1917.
        Tom
        Attached Files

Comment

@ Big thanks to both of you, Swordfish and LH600. I really admire you're pieces and I belive, that all of those items were real pain in the arse for your wallet

You've got some really really beauties up there!

Comment

Ok, here's one copy, I made lately. I know it's far from the original, but I didn't had much options to own one; There is 100% no way to get it from U.S.

Comment

Third one down frame #1... I believe is British also.

Comment

Originally posted by juoneen View Post
                Third one down frame #1... I believe is British also.
                Yes, made by Robbins of Dudley. The middle one is BC-41.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X