Kriegsmarine Pommel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kriegsmarine Pommel

I only have 3 daggers (WKC Heer, Anton Wingen, Jr. 2nd Luft & '38 - '41 Eickhorn Kriegsmarine), but find them all beautiful. From pictures on dagger sites (Wittman, Johnson), it appears that the pommel of my Kriegs dagger is 180 degrees out when screwed down. I've taken it off and replaced it several times, but it always goes back on with the back of the eagle in line with the front of the blade. (The front of the eagle with the Swastika is on the same side as the squirrel logo and push button.) Is this common or incorrect- should I try to "fix" it- and if so how. (I wouldn't do anything drastic, as this is really pretty minor- but I'd appreciate some input.) Thanks!
    (I've tried to attach a picture, but it's not showing up on the preview of the post- I'll have to see if it shows up when I post.)
    Zach
    Zach

Ah, here's the image (I hope!).
    Attached Files
    Zach

Comment

Hi Zach,

I do not really have much experience with daggers in general but do have a couple of navy as part of my collection.

I think that you will find that the problem is fairly common on some naval daggers and I would attributed it to either, different or replacement 1938 type pommel on an earlier dagger or slight shrinkage of the grip over the years. With yours being an Eickhorn 38-41 probably with the grip having a wood base, I would suggest the latter.

If you really wanted to correct this there are several ways to do it:

1. The screwing down of the pommel is usually limited by the thread at the very end of the blade you could carefully remove half a turn of the very last bit of this with a file. Remember to check depth of hole in pommel

2. Or, run a hand tap down the pommel and add another half turn of thread.

3. Probably the easiest is to add a thin cardboard washer under the grip to raise this up the required height to meet the pommel so that it faces the right direction. This will not be seen due to the portepee

Having said all that unless the grip is loose and rattling about I would be tempted to leave as is or at the most do the 3rd option. What you have to be very careful with Eickhorn daggers is that the celluloid covering the wood on the grip does not crack due to over tightning. It may seem OK when you put it away but the next time you get it out it you could be kicking yourself. If I have the option I always like to leave these slightly loose to avoid pressure on the grip.

Hopefully some one else may chip in with some thoughts.

Regards
      Rob.
      Regards, Rob
      Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

Hi Rob,
        Thanks for your reply. The grip does have a wooden base, but I don't think it has shrunk as the fit now is snug and aligns well (if backwards). (Luckily, no cracks & the grip is not loose or wobbly.) Your third option sounds the best as I'm reticent to try the first 2 with the chance of damaging it in an attempt at"fixing" something that isn't broken.
        My Luft dagger is also white over wood; this may have indeed shrunk because when the pommel is snug it goes a little past being square. I have a washer on this now. Thanks again.
        Zach
        Zach

Comment

ZACH,

If you really have to fix it. use Leather under the grip. and don't over tighten it, you will crack the grip.

Bob

Comment

Hi Bob,
            Is there a reason why leather is preferable (because it's somewhat pliant)? And I assume you mean on top of- between the grip & the base of the pommel, not under the grip?
            Zach

Comment

Zach,

Yes it is pliant, that is the basic reason. the second reason is cardboard will attract moisture.

Place it below the ferrel and the crossgaurd. this will hide it as long as you place a portepee on it.

Comment

Hi Bob,
                Thanks for the explanation. For some reason I was thinking the spacer would go between the top of the grip and the pommel, but I see how your (& Rob's) suggestion is superior.
                Zach
                Zach

Comment

NOT superior, we just had a few more days playing with them

Comment

I've repaired a couple of my daggers using Teflon pipe tape available at any hardware store. The Teflon is totaly inert and does a great job of conforming itself to any required shape. As mentioned, just don't overtighten!
                    Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X