Named Imperial Navy sword with pic of person

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Named Imperial Navy sword with pic of person

The sword is a recent pick-up. It is circa 1907 when Günther Kreysern finished the Marineschule. The sword is not your stand sword. It is a enhanced crossguard and damast blade. I was able to acquired a pic and info on Kreysern. Enjoy!
    Attached Files
    Imperial German Medalbars and Ribbonbars

And a nice pic of Günther Kreysern, commander of UC-3 in 1916 when it hit a minefield and was sunk.
    Attached Files

Comment

That is a wonderful sword, with a lovely guard. What a nice bonus to have a photo of the former owner.

Congratulations on a very nice addition to your collection.

Bob Hritz
      In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Super example! Imperial items are just over-the-top in quality!

Comment

Very nice Sword Paul. Exellent Details

Comment

Paul-

That is a killer example of an Imperial marinesabel. I am quite certain this particular naval pattern was manufactured by Eickhorn......am I correct in this assumption??

This particular pattern by Eickhorn is a scarcer pattern/variation of thier marinesabel. It is also one of my favorites, if not my all time favorite Imperial marine example. I appreciate the simple, yet tasteful appearance of this particular variant with respect to the various hilt embellishments. I am particularly fond of the heavily oak-sprig/leaf laden hilt as illustrated on the sabers backstrap/pommel assembly, D-pattern knuckle bow, as well as the wonderfully worked obverse guard langet, as well as the named reverse folding langet.

This design is one of my favorite Imperial Era produce edged weapons. Named and with a photo of the owner to boot. Very nice score. Well done. I give it 2 thumbs up and am a little slightly jealous of your new toy.

Congrats,
            Tom
            Last edited by SwordFish; 07-02-2010, 04:06 AM.

Comment

Tom, Yes you are correct it is an Eickhorn sword. It has the back to back squirrels of the laet 1800, early 1900 period which fits perfectly for Kerysern who was in the crew of 1907. The sword must have been expensive and my research has told me that Kreysern's father was a doctor so I guess he could afford to buy his son a nice sword.

Comment

I would think 1902/1903- Amazing how the piece has stood up to the test of time. A superb example to be proud of.

Tom

Comment

I wanted to bring this back to the top as I will be putting this on the e-stand in a few days and what to see if there are any additional opinions.

Comment

additional blade pics
                    Attached Files

Comment

tang
                      Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X