Wanted Egyptologists on weaponry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wanted Egyptologists on weaponry

Is there anyone on the forum that knows of an Egyptologist? I had just learned the word. He or she would be an authority on weapons or tools of ancient Egyptian times. I have an iron axe I believe is from that period. Not sure how to get it evaluated. It was in a soldiers medal box. It passes the compass test for magnetism. I was told to do a nickel test to see if it was made from an iron meteorite. I know this is not the forum for items like this. Thanks, Bill

Egypt was very late to use iron for tool/weapon making. There were some imported from Greece, but Egypt did not develop an iron refining system to roughly 700 BC. There are the rare meteroic iron tools, but little is known about the dates.

I am not an Egyptologist as my expertise is in stone-age tools.

Bob Hritz
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Thanks for the response Bob. Eraly Iron Age was between 1200-1000 BCE. Iron Age ll was bewteen 1000-586 BCE, Egypt began the production of iron then. Since real iron had twice the value of gold they would sometimes use meteorites for tools and weaponry. I am trying to find someone that has an varified axe of this type to compare it with. I have found a couple of museums that have the same style axe where the wide part slips into a piece of wood called a socket and leather tied on both ends to keep it secured. They were dated to the ancient Egyptians. Nickel testing would be the only way to find out if it was made from an iron meteorite.

Comment

Bob email me.

Comment

Can you show some photos of it? I'm archaeologist, so maybe I'll find out what type of weapon do you own.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X