Imperial Sword Reference Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imperial Sword Reference Books

Can anyone recommend reference books for those interested in German Imperial Swords? I know there are books by Johnson and Whittman (both in print and older additions). Are there any other references that someone could recommend?

Thanks

Carl C

As you mentioned, Johnsons later harbound set of reference is covering Imperial era swords. I havn't purchased this as I don't collect many Imperial era sabers.

There is some earlier literature on the subject. Angolia's swords of Germany covers periods 1900-1945- the 2nd half of the reference is dedicated to Imperial era pieces.

Comment

At a show not long ago, I once again checked out a copy of Johnson. Long on pictures with some nice looking swords. But short on actual information, with a lot of very noticeable gaps. A “coffee table” book to look at for the pictures IMO, but not a serious reference.

As for Jack Angloia’s books, I admire his contributions to collecting and focus with especially his early TR books. But in TW’s current offering, he will cite Angloia as his “proof”. Being very active in his hyperbole trying to ‘pump up’ the item, but otherwise clueless as to what he is selling actually is, so I don’t know if I would consider it as a serious reference or not. (Noting that I have not as yet done a side by side evaluation of both.)

Also “Imperial” can mean different things to different people. WW I? WW I back to when the Imperial era actually began? Before then? FP

Comment

I agree with FP's sentiments. I own Johnsons newer set of the 3 volume series on NS era sabers; all services and organizations are covered in the various volumes. Mostly pics of the sabers in wear.......b/w photos of officers/nco wearing their saber in their wedding photos, or during inspection. The books are very light on data, information, and also lacking many images of the individual patterns and technical info.

I don't own, nor have even looked through his newest 3 volume on Imperial pieces. I would surmise, based on his prior set of 3 volume books, that this series as well is not very heavy on technical info, or individual images of diff. sabers.

I should have been more specific in my original respons.

t

Comment

Tom, You bring up an interesting point which I should have addressed when I responded. I glanced through the others maybe a year ago (?). But I was directing my comments more to the first volume, versus the Navy and ‘Other’ books. Because (like yourself) I’m more orientated to the German Army, which seems to be what most folks are talking about when they mention “Imperial” swords.

I'm also sorry to say that IMO many new books seem to be "showcases" for collections - with some items turning up for sale shortly thereafter. Instead of serious references for collectors. Best Regards, FP

Comment

Originally posted by Frogprince View Post
            I'm also sorry to say that IMO many new books seem to be "showcases" for collections - with some items turning up for sale shortly thereafter. Instead of serious references for collectors.
            Fred,

I think you hit the nail on the head right there, sales catalogues of sorts. I like picture books as much as the next guy but give me some meat in with the glossy pics of blades.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X