Imperial Triple etched Artillery Short Sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well said, Frogprince.

Signalman, I did not want to make you angry, I was just trying to explain. And you can see you are the only one who is still calling this one dress bayonet. This example that he posted does exsist in the bayonet version but without ingraving. So this one in most every book is put under a sidearm or a short NCO sword not as bayonet.
    But this is a stupid thing to argue about, so like a Frogprince said "you can call them what ever you want".
    Regards Rajko

Originally posted by Frogprince View Post
    I have some other IMO more important areas where I might not see exactly eye to eye with him. But making an issue of what to call certain TR era blades that many folks know as dress bayonets is not one of them.

Dealers (and collectors) can call them anything that they please. But that does not mean that they are correct from a technical perspective. To a large part of the English speaking world they are called Police dress bayonets because they look like bayonets, which is fine with me. But period catalogs call the private purchase German Police sidearm a "Polizei-Seitengewehr".

Likewise what are generally known as short swords had their origin in the Infanterie-Säbel which is and was a short sword. Which eventually fell out of favor for the Infantry. But found a new life with the Artillery as a multi purpose weapon for close combat, and a tool for building field fortifications for their guns. Becoming known as an Artillerie-Faschinmessser.

A number of Imperial era "Extra" (off duty - dress) weapons like swords tend to be on the light weight side, and would be relatively useless for combat. But if you have ever picked up and handled one of the larger military issue types of short swords from the 19th century. You would know that they are swords, not bayonets. Not only would they never fit on a rifle because they were never designed for that purpose. Some are quite heavy with very substantial blades. FP

Comment

Wow and all I wanted was info on my short sword and get this, hmm, guys can you start another thread and talk about stuff thats off topic there? I was trying to get info on the originally posted sword not about what constitutes a bayonet from a dress sidearm.

Fritz

Comment

Originally posted by Fritziii View Post
        Wow and all I wanted was info on my short sword and get this, hmm, guys can you start another thread and talk about stuff thats off topic there? I was trying to get info on the originally posted sword not about what constitutes a bayonet from a dress sidearm.

Fritz

I am sorry, Fritz. We are done.
        You have a very nice piece. I had a chance to get that one but without etching on the blade.
        Regards Rajko

Comment

Any other thoughts on this short sword?

Fritz

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X