Clear All

SA Dagger with inscription

Just picked up this dagger from a vets son, Its to bad he sharpened the
    blade, can anyone tell me whats its worth in dollars?... Erich
    Attached Files

more
    Attached Files

Comment

I hope there is a maker logo on the blade.

-wagner-

Comment

Originally posted by wags View Post
        I hope there is a maker logo on the blade.

-wagner-

No, there isn't. What does that mean?

Tom

Comment

Means, it's a very unusual blade. How often do you see a SA dagger with an unmarked blade? A full ground Rohm where they removed the makers logo do exist.
          Factory unmarked dagger do exist. I seen them but they are rare. To see one with a blade dedication is a Red Flag to me. It's one where it would have to be looked at in-hand. Not saying it's fake, just very unusual and not in the comforting way.
          SA daggers are not like Army, Luft's or even the SS's. You can go a long time before you find an original SA blade with original crossgrain but it has no maker mark.
          But now we have one with a dedication. Interesting combo.

-wagner-

Comment

Originally posted by wags View Post
            Means, it's a very unusual blade. How often do you see a SA dagger with an unmarked blade? A full ground Rohm where they removed the makers logo do exist.
            Factory unmarked dagger do exist. I seen them but they are rare. To see one with a blade dedication is a Red Flag to me. It's one where it would have to be looked at in-hand. Not saying it's fake, just very unusual and not in the comforting way.
            SA daggers are not like Army, Luft's or even the SS's. You can go a long time before you find an original SA blade with original crossgrain but it has no maker mark.
            But now we have one with a dedication. Interesting combo.

-wagner-
            Could you elaborate a bit on why this would be a red flag?

Comment

I agree, unusual combo.
              Fonts look correct, wear on inscription seems to match wear on the blade.

Comment

Most collectors who have been collecting for many years will be very hesitant about paying a premium for a dagger with a acid etched dedication on it.
                UNLESS, they can examine it in hand, and it has all the textbook features of what they expect to see. They are too numerous for me to mention now but
                the blade not sporting a makers mark or M/7 number is NOT what they
                want to see. OK - I Know...WHY NOT?
                Because many dagger parts were found in Solingen at the end of the war and there were many Put-togethers with all sorts of combinations. Made from original parts it would be hard to tell if it was period.
                There were crates of parts, including blades, some unfinished, but many finished were still left in storage when the cessation order was made in late 1942.

So if your going to collect this type of dagger that has this sort of upgrade you should try to have one that has a maker mark. Not because a makers logo will make the dagger "good" but without any maker or RZM marks you have to take a guess who the maker was. Collectors don't like to guess and there is no way to prove that this dedication was period or not. Your best chance is to send it to a Tom Wittmann or Frederick Stephens so they can do a hands-on.
                But the best your probably are going to get is what "Gesundheit" mentioned: "Fonts look correct, wear on inscription seems to match wear on the blade."

-wagner-

Comment

Another unusual item is the date being Oct. 1938. But the dagger seems to be an early vintage pre-1936 -IMO. So why did an early dagger which is a dedication have such a late date ?
                  The scabbard it is painted? It look like it but I can't tell. If painted it's another
                  unusual feature. The Term "unusual" for a collector in this context should be viewed as a minus (-) and not a (+) like if it was an "Unusual Rarity".

So you start putting those "unusual" things together...although they may not prove anything one way or another, However it's a dagger that will always need "explanations." And "explanations" are opposite of what collectors want to have in their collection. They all want "One Lookers".

In closing I would like to add: that I don't "see" anything "wrong" with the dagger. Better photos probably wouldn't made a determination in a case like this.
                  -JMO-

-wagner-
                  Last edited by Serge M.; 04-12-2010, 12:47 AM.

Comment

Wags thanks for your posts great

Comment

Knowing how the dagger was acquired, how much was paid for it, and the history the previous owner gave on it, I am sure it is 100% original.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tgn View Post
                        Knowing how the dagger was acquired, how much was paid for it, and the history the previous owner gave on it, I am sure it is 100% original.

Tom
                        Tom,
                        Your probably right. I haven't seen a faker yet who would sharpen a blade.
                        However they are regularly filing off "Ernst Rohm's" name only to make a Partial Rohm, on a fake blade.

-wagner-

Comment

Wagner,
                          Thank you for your posts, they are very educational.
                          ~Erich

Comment

there is no maker logo that i can see, but there is two letters were the
                            logo should be, also the scabbard is anodized......Erich

Comment

Legit SA's with no makers mark are not unheard of, I happen to have one myself.
                              To have an inscritped SA with no makers mark, that is bound to attract attention, and not all of it good.
                              Perhaps you can post a close up on the area in question.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X