SS Dagger handle question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Dagger handle question

Hi. Is it extremely abnormal/cause for concern to have the wood be mismatched in height compared to the crossguards where they meet on the sides of the handle? The rest of the dagger appears to checkout. Thanks, Ron
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

If isnt a copy, is a strange marriage. More pictures would help

Comment

Some side pics of the indentations made by the cross guards. What other pics would be needed?
        Attached Files

Comment

I also forgot to mention that this is with a Type one chained scabbard and the bottom crossguard has a Gau marking "He". I know some SS daggers used up SA crossguards so could this be the reason for the mismatch?

Comment

Perhaps, the former owner had a dagger SA and SS and one dismounted and remounted mixing pieces.

Comment

too many inconsistencies, in my opinion

Comment

I thought I had read and seen examples of SS daggers with Gau markings factory done to use up stocks, quite a few examples. Was this false?

Comment

Yes, occasionally the chained SS daggers appear with SA Gruppe markings (not "Gau" actually, but this is not a point of the discussion). It seems that He is the only one marking observed on SS M36. I used to have one with He stamp and I believe it was unaltered piece. I must say the wood wasn't perfect either (bit asymetric), but 100% original. Sides of the grip going little bit above the crossguard level are nothing very unusual in case of late RZM pieces. May I guess, the scabbard is blued ("anodized"), middle scabbard fitting has 2 screws and chain is type I?

Comment

Yes, all correct about the scabbord except only one screw which I was also told was a possibility. Thank you for the help.

Comment

It has wear on the handle .

Comment

Doing more research, I have definately found original examples where there is a "step-off" from the handle to the guard. Thanks to all who have responded.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X