'rat squirrel' eick sa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'rat squirrel' eick sa

here's an early nickel silver, 'serrated tail' eickhorn with the ratty looking squirrel in double ovals. details I'd appreciate help with please:

-first, the blade's the plated type with a heavy or coarse graining, nothing subtle as on other sa blades.
    -second, the etch is clean and pretty dark.
    -third, the nickel eagle looks fine.
    -fourth, although the scabb screws are unturned, the bottoms fit into, not holes but 'slots' that look factory.
    - fifth, the wood grip and sa signet are fine.
    - sixth, scabb-to-guard and blade-to-guard fit are fine
    - the pommel nut is unmessed-with but unscrewed with hard finger pressure.

is this a correct eickhorn for the period I'm guessing it's from: 1934-35? what most concerns me is that 'coarse grain.' but I've seen plated armies with it, so....

also, not a matter of correct (just common!) but the hardware is very dull 'matte' and greenish. will acetone soak it off? I don't want it starting to eat the nickel.

thanks for all comments!
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

on 2nd look, one of the chape screws has been turned, other one not. and both 'slots' have some damage at the ends. anyone ever see 'slotted screw holes'?

thanks again for expertise!

Comment

Are you sure the blade is plated?

Comment

pretty sure ralf. looks a lot like the plated klaas ss I used to own, now in wittmann's ss book. also like plated heers. how to know for sure? and does the rest seem as it should given the rest of my description? I look forward to the book! thanks.

Comment

almost 70 views and ONE comment? geeeez. well here's another pic or two, post-verdigris, that will maybe spark a reax.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

ALL comments welcome, really. does anyone here think this is some sort of fake for example??

Comment

I don't know. Perhaps the blade was pollished up a bit over the years and someone did some re-burnishing work on her? I really don't see any crossgraining left..however I do see what appears to be runner marks. We know someone who used to reburnish mottos and resell them as original. I would bet the blade is not "plated". Steel wool, ultra-fine sandpaper are all tools used by people trying to remove rust and oxidation from a blade which was poorly stored. I've seen a number of SAs where exactly that happened.

t
                            Last edited by SwordFish; 01-10-2010, 11:47 PM.

Comment

thanx for your remarks! very interesting.

but the motto is dead uniform in depth, the burnishing's consistent too (despite the uneven lighting in some pix). plus the blade-to-guard fit is glovelike.

I'm pretty sure SAs were plated like some SS ones were. anyone have pix of blades they're satisfied are pre-45 production? we'd appreciate seeing them.

Originally posted by SwordFish View Post
                              I don't know. Perhaps the blade was pollished up a bit over the years and someone did some re-burnishing work on her? I really don't see any crossgraining left..however I do see what appears to be runner marks. We know someone who used to reburnish mottos and resell them as original. I would bet the blade is not "plated". Steel wook, ultra-fine sandpaper are all tools used by people trying to remove rust and oxidation from a blade which was poorly stored. I've seen a number of SA where exactly that happened.

t

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X