Police Bayonet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Police Bayonet

Hope I am not contravening any rules here gentleman. I am quite new to collecting the edged weapons. Is there anyone or anywhere I can go too to find the price guide for a nice Police Bayonet.
    Thanks

First, welcome to the forum. I don't believe you're breaking any edicts here by asking general questions about pricing. There are a lot of variables regarding Polizei bayonets so I'd say it's probably easier to state specifically what you're looking for or what you're looking to sell. Condition is, of course, paramount to any price scheme as well as originality of the piece.

In general, a nicely conditioned Schupo bayonet with cut down blade with matching numbers could run you anywhere between $650 to $800 IMHO although many sellers & dealers will try to extend that price up to & beyont $1000. There are plenty out there so if you look enough you can find a well priced piece, often enough on the estand. Accouterments like a nice police frog & knot can run the price up higher.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Schmidt:

Billy is correct. I suggest that, when looking to try to find pricing on a type of item, look at various dealer sites, like Tom Wittmann or Tom Johnson or Paul Hogle. Their pricing will give you an idea of the ball park that dealers ask for. Pricing is driven by condition and rarity (and greed... I mean what the market will bear).

Buying privately or from the smaller dealer/collectors will generally save you money vs the bigger dealer pricing, but you will be taking more risks. Anyone you buy from should give you some sort of return privilege or quarantee on authenticity.

Buy books first to educate yourself on what you want, check out dealer prices and descriptions and compare their pictures to the books and to what you want. Make friends in the collecting community, people you can bounce things and ideas off. Particpation in forums like this one is a good first step.

Welcom to our world,

John

Comment

John and Billy
        Thanks for the replies lads. I have a couple of British 1907s and a Diplomatic dress dagger unfortunately without the hangers but I hope it is the real thing.
        I also have what looks like a Hunting dagger but without and markings on the stag handle. Thanks for the guidance.
        John I hope the weather is normally okay in Calgary about mid september, should be there about that time this year.
        Again thanks for the help
        Alan

Comment

If you look for reference book, there is a good one by Gary Walker & Ron Weinand called "German Clamshells and Other Bayonets".

Comment

Ralf is correct, Walker & Weinand's book "Clamshells" although dated is a super source of info on bayonets, particularly police bayonets. Another suggestion is George Wheeler's "Seitengewehr".

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X