Reproduction SS Honor Sword blades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reproduction SS Honor Sword blades

There is a reproduction SS Honor Sword blade being sold on the Estand that is interesting.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=403907

The blade is properly listed in the Estand reproduction section but collectors should take a look at it so they know what these old fake etches look like. Manion's aquired quite a few of these a year or so ago and they have been selling them off over the past year. They seem to have quite a few of the etched blades that are complete with scabbards and I have seen about a dozen sell since they started listing them. The scabbards typically have throat and drag fittings but they have no suspension ring. They all seem to have some age, rust, and water damage from poor storage.

I have seen several for resale on ebay and Manion's has been getting around $300 a pop for theirs. Theirs are also properly listed as reproductions. Johnson had a couple on his site over the years and I suspect they were part of the boxes of bits and pieces that Jim Atwood had but I am not certain of their original origin. I have seen a test etching that tested various fake etch templates and this is one of the distinctive etches produced.

A very interesting fake that sword collectors should be aware of.

What's the story on the scabbard and scabbard throat the phony blade is pictured with?

I had once owned one of the repro SS degens from the 60's which was well made, although still noticeably a fake. I never found out about the origin of this batch of fake degens..who produced them, where they came from, etc. A tell-tale giveaway was their hilt assembly. When disassembled, the owner would notice that it's assembly did not conform with accurate parts...also the grip was a platic type material...and the grip button was not pinned to the grip..sort of push into the grip recess.

George-
    You think this piece here is an Atwood? I had yet to see one these etched pieces. I wonder what buyers are doing with them??

Tom

Comment

Disregard my q. I read through some info and sorted it out.

t

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X