Leather covered SA scabbard, etc..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leather covered SA scabbard, etc..

Here is an example of a Large oval Eickhorn blade with smooth tail squirrel that came in a leather covered scabbard. It came from the "mega-mint" dealer some years ago. I am posting it so those who have never seen one can see what it looks like. I don;t think there is any special significance to the scabbard, but it is different. I don't know if there were rules prohibiting this or not. Here it is.

Mark
    Attached Files

maker mark

Mark
    Attached Files

Comment

Grip front

Last pic. Comments are invited!

Mark
      Attached Files

Comment

A very nice and unique dagger

Comment

great dagger,with a spesial scabbard.It is on my list,to my collection

Comment

From the photos the leather looks black. Is that the case? It would be nice to see more photos in natural light.
            Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

Color camparison

Here are two SA daggers side by side in the natural light. One is the leather covered scabbard and the other is regular. See what you think. It is a little darker for sure but in hand not so much as in the picture.

Mark
              Attached Files

Comment

another shot

One more..looks more brown..

Mark
                Attached Files

Comment

Mark you have a totally amazing SA/SS dagger collection, i,m just wondering if the leather on the scabbard was re-covered at some point?

Regards Scott.

Comment

Scott, I can only assume it was. I would think that the original leather would have been very dry by now. Then again I have some killer 1st Luft daggers that have survived this long without any leatherwork. I am not sure, but I would go with the premise it was. I got it from C. Gottlieb several years ago and it did not (as was sometimes his 'oversight') come with a guarantee of authenticity as being pre 1945.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by kingtiger View Post
                      Scott, I can only assume it was. I would think that the original leather would have been very dry by now. Then again I have some killer 1st Luft daggers that have survived this long without any leatherwork. I am not sure, but I would go with the premise it was. I got it from C. Gottlieb several years ago and it did not (as was sometimes his 'oversight') come with a guarantee of authenticity as being pre 1945.

Mark
                      Mark i thought it looked in too good a condition to be the origional period leather, saying that its a very nice leather re-cover job & its a lovely conditioned SA with the Large oval Eickhorn with smooth tail squirrel logo

Cheers Scott.

Comment

Hi Mark this may be a silly question but is there any smell of leather ? you probably already know that the smell of leather goes after a certain amount of year's stunning dagger's you have by the way
                        regard's Ron

Comment

No obvious smell of leather at all. I had the wife check it as well...same result. I would not sell it as guaranteed period leather since it came from that seller and did not include his promised COA. Why? I have no idea, it was about 5-7 years ago I think.

Mark

Comment

I can see that in my mind .....honey would you come here, and smell this daggers leather for me? hahahah (she had to have thought that just a little strange)
                            I notice the end towards the tip one one side sticks out a little.

I was always of the impression that only demascus blades had moroccan leather on the SA scabbards. Also it would originally have been skived to fit at top, bottom, and where it overlapped itself...doesnt seem like it would stick out like that,,,so Just my thoughts.Nice one anyway, doesnt take much away from it if its not right by chance. Im sure you paid an extre premium for the leather.

Comment

I was offered the dagger and told it was a private purchase option. I really don't know. I don't recall a premium being placed on it. It just looked cool and I thought it was interesting...that's really all. it may have been done by a "tuner" for all I know.

Mark

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X