No announcement yet.

Hunting cutlass - Weimar or Imperial?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This piece is of post war production, Hubertus did not make hunting daggers prior to 1945.
    Many makers in the immediate post war period used etches similar to those on Eickhorn products. There are period hirschfängers with screws used in the scabbard mounts but none are like this. It looks to me as though they used up Eickhorn fittings.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Saufaenger kid View Post
      This piece is of post war production, Hubertus did not make hunting daggers prior to 1945.
      Many makers in the immediate post war period used etches similar to those on Eickhorn products. There are period hirschfängers with screws used in the scabbard mounts but none are like this. It looks to me as though they used up Eickhorn fittings.

Gary
      ----------
      I do not know when Hubertus started their business or what they did produce nor can I say that this blade is not post war. It does appear old enough that, if it is post war, it likely is early as the aging and wear signs are consistent thruout relative to a new piece even made to appear old in general.
      One thing I was able to do was to compare the etching on the this blade with the etching on Wittman's very carefully stoke by stroke such that whoever did the etching apparently had either a template from Eickhorn or had some way to almost exactly copy each stroke of the pattern;ie, the copying as I define here as very different than using a "similar etching" that resembles as I interpret your phrasing. I do not mean to disparage what you are saying but am aiming for clarification of communication.
      Is it possible that the blade and perhaps some of the fitting were made by Eickhorn prior to the end of WW2 and assembled by Hubertus after WW2? Is there any connection between Eickhorn and Hubertus during and/or after WW2? If there is a connection, is it possible that Eickhorn patterns and tooling was used either by Eickhorn or Hubertus for what one might presume would be the post-war members of the German hunting fraternity?
      I have seen a number of quality blades in my life including some decent fakes. This blade is of very good quality thruout tho when it was made obviously will affect its value.
      As best as I could see from the Hubertus ad in the link I provided, and, IMO, my blade is of superior quality as I think the Hubertus blade and etching appears shallow and chromey if there is such a word; ie, too flashy and too new. (clicking on the pics will blow them up a little)
      I hope some more input will result from this thread. Any supporting data and sources will help and would be appreciated by all.

Comment

Without repeating what I have previously stated I cannot make it any clearer, this piece is post war, you may want to hold out some hope otherwise and that is your perogative. Hubertus did not make any hunting/forestry or shooting association daggers prior to 1945, in my opinion it is a genuine shooting association hirschfänger using up parts left at the end of the war.
        Sorry if that's not what you want to hear.

Gary

Comment

Gary is THE man on this forum for Hunting and Forestry daggers. I can say that because I see him at the shows and when I have any questions or doubts I see him.

Comment

Although you may not like to hear what is said about you item I would look at it as being fortunate to have Gary chime in here and give you "The Word".
            Like Ed, I go to Gary when I have a question regarding Hunting/Forestry items.

Anything with Hubertus on it is Post-war.
            It just is what it is.

-wagner-

Comment

Originally posted by Saufaenger kid View Post
              Without repeating what I have previously stated I cannot make it any clearer, this piece is post war, you may want to hold out some hope otherwise and that is your perogative. Hubertus did not make any hunting/forestry or shooting association daggers prior to 1945, in my opinion it is a genuine shooting association hirschfänger using up parts left at the end of the war.
              Sorry if that's not what you want to hear.

Gary
              -----------------
              Thanks, Gary. I am not arguing with you or the others as to my belief that this is other than what you are saying now. I think I did say that this could be post war and was asking whether it was made up of "genuine" parts close after the end of WW2 for the post war hunting club as opposed to the modern commercial piece as in the Hubertus link.
              I did notice how weak the Hubertus logo is relative esp to the strength and depth of the etching as if one wasn't supposed to notice or it was buffed down.
              While I or anyone who buys these things wants to hit a home run, I am not upset with your analysis as I think it makes sense and reality is what it is and whether I approve is moot. I purchased this very inexpensively and based upon the quality as I knew I couldn't touch a properly marked one for my cost.
              Hopefully this back and forth will assist others in their learning. Was Eickhorn associated with, taken over or parts just acquired by Hubertus after the war?
              Are there many of these blades out there as you have described?
              Perhaps you would also be kind enough to give us an idea of market value for an item like this if that's possible.
              Again, thanks to you and the other posters.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X