Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Good Deed Gravity Knife

Hey guys:

Well, the old Boy Scout motto pays off for me once again... I helped a buddy out and refused payment for my "good deed". Once back at his house I helped unload his truck. I admired his Gravity Knife sitting on a table. He told me if I didn't sell it, and let my kids fight over it when I die, he would give it to me!

So, I agreed, got home and got the haze rust off of it and found what looks like a nice example. The blade is a little dark but totally untouched and you can see some cross graining too.

My question is: I've had these before, but I've not seen one without the Luft proof on the spike. What is the deal with this "S"?

Also, the lever is numbered "55" and everything else is blank. Is this an indicator of a certain maker or something?

Thanks,
    Skip
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Skip Pickett; 12-01-2009, 10:21 AM.

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

The S is believed to be a late war replacement for the eagle/number acceptance stamp. This is a fairly uncommon marking IMO. It also seems to be associated with SMF and can be found on the fighting knives as well.

In my experience the number stamps found in these knives can really vary as to if they are the same or even exist on every major part. I think that most every case they did not all match originally and that collectors who insist that they should match in order to be 'right" are barking up the wrong tree. These were assembly numbers and many of these were assembled in sub-assemblies and then matted with main parts into complete knives ....there are many variations on how they were numbered ...or not..

There are many better ways to tell a post war monkeyed with knife than parts numbers....as these really tell you nothing anyway.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X