No announcement yet.

etched bayonet opinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ohhh noooo!! Another dreaded etched parade bayo.

I usually find 3 other examples, of known, period etches, identical perferably, then do a strict side by side comparison and complete a contrast/compare. Problem being, that doing so will drive you crazy. Alot of the post-war etches were done in the UK in the '70s, and weren't done half bad. I avoid etched bayos like the plague. Contact Bill (Billy G) he's got a good handle on bayo etches, as do some other members. Another option is to post it at GDC. A number of members there are skilled with etches, and they don't frequent this forum. I would think someone over there could also provide you with a relative sound asessment.

Tom

Comment

I'm skeptical of this one but not because it's Solingen marked. The close ups of the etch borders look uneven & at times bleed into one another. This is a pretty good sign that the etch is postwar. Pre 1945 etched blades are by no means perfect but the quality on these extra cost private purchase items was usually better than this one IMO.

Comment

Yes

I have to agree with Billy's comments. The etch lacks the level of detail I would like to see. The edges are sloppy and not something I would expect to see on a period etched piece.

JAN

Comment

Agree with Billy and Jan on this one. Both these guys really know their stuff! Additionally, don't avoid a KS98 bayonet because it's only "Solingen" marked. This was not uncommon during the NS Zeit.
          Here is one I owned years ago that was only Solingen marked - double sided etch for Panzer Abwehr 25, Kornwestheim. This was a direct vet purchase.
          Attached Files

Comment

Oops! Meant to show the Solingen marked side.
            Attached Files

Comment

Plus if you look at the dedication side etch... note that the whole etch is shifted clsoer to the top border leaving quite a gap at the bottom border.

Between what BillyG had noted and this, I would be very wary of this etch.

John

Comment

Etch guys-
                Assuming the conclusion is infact that the etch is bogus, when do you date the phony etch? Attributed to the UK 70's batch?

Tom

Comment

Hey Tom,

Thanks for the kind words I don't think I'm great at id'ing when most reproduction etches were made for the most part. My exceptions would be the new Eastern Bloc Packs/Eicks (which are fairly recent & pretty well done) & the SS/HJ etched combat K98s (which were mostly done in the 1960's/1970's in England). If forced for an answer I'd think the "quality" of this one is better than the 1970's versions but I could easily be wrong.

The newer type etches out of the East are tougher to ID as modern because the fakers are matching specific maker etches with the same maker marked blades. This used to be one way to nail etches in the past as some of the bigger etch makers were very proprietary about their products. Fortunately the modern fakers have not nailed everything so close up in hand inspections will often bear out suspicions.

Wayne Techet's book also shows a very informative vendor/vendee list that's very helpful. Wayne has said that this list is not written in stone but is a good guide. I think we all can admit "never say never" but Wayne's book is an excellent reference of things to look for & common miskakes.

These purported Holler etches can be a little tougher to vet because Holler etches were sloppier than some of the others IMO.

Comment

Plus, Billy, Holler made and sold etches to a lot of other manufacturers.

You see Holler type etches on many different blades, so that it becomes hard to use that as a selection criteria.

I do not believe that Eickhorn or Pack sold any of their etches to other manufacturers, although you can see their etches on unmarked or on distributor marked blades.

At last years SOS, I saw a fake Pack etch that was amazing in its quality... I almost bougfht it myself off e-ban and did get to see it in hand from the person who did buy it. The pictures made it look like a perfect Pack etch. Only an in hand examination showed it to be a fake. There are some craftsmen in the Czech Republic who can do some amazing work.

And, I am with Billy, on not knowing when a bogus etch was produced (and I don't really care). Although the early fakes are now showing age and patina...but they tended to be so crude and so obvious that they are not really dangerous to most knowledgeable collectors. It is the newer fakers with their updaged knowledge base who are more dangerous to our hobby.

John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X