Experts Needed Hammesfahr SS Dagger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experts Needed Hammesfahr SS Dagger

Gentlemen, I have an Hammesfahr SS Dagger that i recently purchased.
    I am in need of everyone's comments who knows about this type of Dagger.

This is my FIRST (SS) Dagger and i have no idea what my NEXT STEP should be.

The handle is "chipped" and the Silver has alot of Patina.
    Any other time i would just go for the Silver Polish Paste and "Shine Away".

What are your recommendations for CLEANING ?? and will it have a "too clean" look to it COMPARED to the scabbard. ??

Do or Dont?

I would appreciate one & all's advice on what is the BEST thing to do.

Please feel free to ADD any EXTRA info on this SS Blade, as I only know the maker and the III stamp is Munich ??

See pics at this link.

http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j9...view=slideshow

Thanks for the Advice.
    Carey

I tried too look at the dagger in the link you posted and got somekind of loading error.Anyway I can tell you without looking,don't clean it.I know many collecters who will not buy clean daggers.It also attest to the daggers originality. I just got back from a show and 90% of the daggers were cleaned and polished I pass on them unless they are a steal.

Comment

I was able to view your pics. I'm only going to speak to cleaning and preservation as '33 and '36 are not an area I am comfortable with. Never have been, probably never will be. Not my bag. Anywhooooo...

As it relates to cleaning and such, I don't see any reason it should be cleaned. Granted, there are some small areas of concern you're going to have to watch, including some of the "green gunk" oxidation, and some lite mist blade rusting (near the MM).

If it were me, i'd be considered with preservation of the piece. Emphasis placed on the areas of concern, and a hi-grade microcrystalling museum grade wax for preservation. No need for a full cleaning. I fear it would be a mistake you'd regret.

JMHO.

t

Comment

Great looking SS! Where did the seller get the dagger? I would gently clean the blade and try to remove some of the build-up and rust. You can only improve the condition in my eyes. I'm sure Wittman or Johnson could fix the chip if you wanted to go that route but I would leave it.

Comment

I would renwax the blade as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ErichS View Post
            I would renwax the blade as well.
            You're right Erich.

Only the blade,

Your dagger is very nice and i would not clean it up,or" chip repair"

R.

Comment

Actually Leave it alone...Light oil on the blade...I never was a fan of the Ren Wax..No Offense to other members.Its a Nice tight dagger...if you want a better shape one then sell it and look for a better one,This one has Great character.

Comment

It's a proven fact that oil can trap moisture that can cause problems over time, so I'd be hessitant to reccommend it. There are as many preservation techniques as there are colectors, which really doesn't make them right or wrong. For me, the storage environment is more important than what can be applied to the dagger itself
                Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

Gentlemen, THANK YOU for all of your comments and advice. It is appreciated.
                  I will keep it out of the scabbard and display it with my SS collar tab & death head that goes on the Officers Visor.

I wiped blade down tonight with lighter fluid to get the TOP LAYER of gunk off.
                  Then i put on my favorite polish ----> MAAS silver paste.

This worked out VERY well.

Will post pics soon.

Regards,Carey

Comment

Here are the Before & After shots.

Thank You for all your comments and advice on cleaning, it is appreciated.

Comment

Cool.

It looks like you were able to remove that misty blade rust, without hurting the blades crossgraining. Well done.

Tom

Comment

Nice job you done there without damaging the crossgrain, nice SS dagger you have now

Cheers Scott.

Comment

8-)

Wow That truly is a beautiful dagger! Congratulations!

I was wondering how chip repairing actually works, and if it would work in this case? And also, how and why would it affect the dagger's value? It sounds as if it would but increase the dagger's worth, be it intrinsically or extrinsically.

Regarding polishing such a valuable piece, how should silver polish be applied? Is the polish you used similar to the much acclaimed Simichrome paste? Is there some specific type of cloth to use or to avoid when polishing a dagger? I mean, how to not damage the cross grain when polishing using paste? It must be a daunting task ...

And do I understand you guys correctly when I say that the cross guards should not be polished and/or cleaned?

Thanks you for sharing this very beautiful Hammesfahr SS, Carey! I'm green with envy But I'm enjoying your images, information and insights. Have fun being able to experience the dagger up close and personal

Very best regards,
                          Karin-Renate
                          Mehr sein als scheinen

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X