Short Bayonet or Fighting Knife????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short Bayonet or Fighting Knife????

I'm hoping you can tell me what this is or even if it's German manufactured???
    It's between 11 and 12 inches long. There are numbers on the knife, but nothing on the scabbard. You're insight would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Greg

Trench Knife II 001.jpg

Pic #2

Trench Knife II 003.jpg

Comment

[ATTACH]1338312[/ATTACH]

Comment

[ATTACH]1338315[/ATTACH]

Comment

Last pic.
          Thanks!

Trench Knife II 008.jpg

Comment

The grips look similar to german combat bayonets but other than that I have no idea

Comment

I believe its a postwar bulgarian fighting knive, some were made direct from german bayonets.

Comment

This is a Bulgarian postwar dagger/knife for cadets. It has nothing to do with Germany or the German bayonet m/ 84-98,
                and they are not made från german bayonets. The grip is actually quite different to the German bayonet, but the design
                of the grip is perhaps inspired by the German bayonet.

A good way to get to the bottom of this issue is to compare the number of grooves on the Bulgarian knife handle with the
                equivalent of the German bayonet. It's one more on the German bayonet.
                Last edited by HgF; 11-05-2009, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys in indentifying this knife! I greatly appreciate it!! Great work and knowledge!!
                  I will be selling all my knifes & daggers....any idea on a fair value?
                  Last edited by AFF96; 11-05-2009, 03:49 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

This particular knife is made in Bulgaria, manufactured in some military factory.

But some of these knives were made from German K98 bayonets. Made in Bulgaria by cutting and grinding WW2 K98 bayonets. Indeed, this one is not, but some are!

And the scabbards re from bayonets. All the scabbards for these knives were made from ready scabbards, Mannlicher and K98. This one is from Mannlicher, the ones from K98 look the same, reworked in the same way, just the ball at the end is not that round and still can be seen the WAA punches on them.
                    The World Needs Peace

Interesting photo archive: http://www.lostbulgaria.com

Comment

I have gone through several dozen of these Bulgarian knives in the search for a single converted German bayonet. I have so far not found a single one.

But in this enclosed link - a few clicks down - there is one of those German 84/98 reworks. The first of those reworks I've seen at all. They seem to be so crude made that you think it's a Bubba basement project.

I have several of the other variant - the one made in Bulgaria - and they are also very roughly made.

http://www.old-smithy.info/bayonets/...ayonet_(4).htm

Comment

The knives made from K98 are one in 100. Or even more. Most hard to find!
                        The World Needs Peace

Interesting photo archive: http://www.lostbulgaria.com

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X