No announcement yet.

SS Dagger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To me it looks like a great dagger (III/64) means III Sturmbann, 64 SS Standarte The I is a district mark. Condition the dagger has alot of "Character" which is good.
    Last edited by DR DOLCH; 11-03-2009, 05:44 AM.

Comment

Nice photos. It looks like someone used steel wool on the blade, cross guard, fittings and eagle to correct the corrosion and improve condition.

I can see scratches that are running parallel to each other.
      Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Comment

Looks like a nice original dagger " that has character" that has unfortunately been stored incorrectly over the years. The blade was probably cleaned up the wrong way over the years as well.

Comment

Thanks for the replies gentleman,

i will post better pics if it has arrived,

the dagger costs me 1050 euro, is the price ok for a dagger in this condition ?

M.

Comment

Hi M, the price you paid would be top end for a dagger in this condition. Did you purchase it from a dealer or a private source?

Comment

OMI Good dagger and very good price.

The croosguard is marked P.A., this is the correct by Herder daggers.

Comment

An original dagger, but the price is a little high for the condition. Someone without any collector background has harshly cleaned the piece. The crossguard marking is the only redeeming factor in my mind. Value should be around $750.00. IMO,

Comment

Hello gentleman,

thanks again for your opinions,

the dagger comes so from privat,

i think the price was ok for this dagger,

here some pics from the hanger ........ the eagel stamp on the hanger is imo a phantasy one and put on it after 1945...but i think the rest is ok,

what is your opinion to it ?

Sorry for my poor english

M.

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/929...einame0000.jpg

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/234...einame0001.jpg

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/4...einame0002.jpg

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/8...einame0003.jpg

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/8...einame0004.jpg

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/5...einame0005.jpg

Comment

Hi.I think the hanger is ok,but I think the strap has been replaced with a cut down mess tin type strap(note the roller type buckle).The verticle hanger I have in my collection has a small square buckle.

Comment

Hello collecter,

thanks for your reply,

the rolle typ buckle is imo contemporary, they were period used

i found a similar one with a rolle buckle:

http://www.wwiidaggers.com/29376.htm

M.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Weinand View Post
                        An original dagger, but the price is a little high for the condition. Someone without any collector background has harshly cleaned the piece. The crossguard marking is the only redeeming factor in my mind. Value should be around $750.00. IMO,
                        The cheapest any one of the dealers would have this is $2000. Is that what it's worth, probably not. I think you'd get $1300 out of it easily though. Especially if you cleaned it up a little. I think $750 ridiculous though. You can't buy a beater RZM SS for $750 let alone an early model that cleans up easily. I think its an ideal piece for restoration. It's just a beater like it is but restored I know plenty of people would be willing to shell out some cash for a clean restored SS. I think many clean em up without telling anyways. To bad it happens that way but there are more mint daggers today than was 10-15 years ago?? But they all seem to be fresh outta the woodwork.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam K. View Post
                          The cheapest any one of the dealers would have this is $2000. Is that what it's worth, probably not. I think you'd get $1300 out of it easily though. Especially if you cleaned it up a little. I think $750 ridiculous though. You can't buy a beater RZM SS for $750 let alone an early model that cleans up easily. I think its an ideal piece for restoration. It's just a beater like it is but restored I know plenty of people would be willing to shell out some cash for a clean restored SS. I think many clean em up without telling anyways. To bad it happens that way but there are more mint daggers today than was 10-15 years ago?? But they all seem to be fresh outta the woodwork.
                          I pretty much agree. Real unit marked SS daggers IME are VERY rare...probably rarer than Himmler Presentations and have received almost no coverage in the major references that I can find. For years and maybe even today many of the big dealers did not even understand that these were in fact unit marks. Speculation is that these were unit property. I am not sure if I agree with that or if they simply marked by some units as before being presented to the SS-Mann. For whatever reason (probably lack of hype) collectors do not seem to put a high premium on these...at least not yet....but that may well change over time.

It is not Exe++. but it did not cost 4k to 5k either...and that price range seem typical for many nice (but not even mint) ones.

Comment

Hi M,

without a doubt ,your dagger looks ok to me.!
                            with these markings on the lower crossquard,you don't find another one for this price.

Regards
                            Rheingold

Comment

Hello,

thanks again,

very interesting to see the different opinions...

in a few hours i can hold the dagger in my hands, maybe the new photos will show his real condition.....

but i need some more opinions for the hanger,

how you appreciate the eagle stamp on it ?

Postwar made ?

Notice: The dagger is not for sale !

M.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X