Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"SS sword"

Hello,
    a friend asked for help with this one. I persoanly think it is not good, but I do know that I know nothing on these. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Attached Files

Right now I have only these two pics but I have a feeling that they are enough.
    Attached Files

Comment

I think that sword is original but I do not know if it is SS. There is a chance somebody added the SS markings. It would help a lot if you can get more pictures of the sword.
      Regards Rajko

Comment

The box edges don't look exactly correct to me.

Comment

Thank you both Rajko and Ron!

Here are some more pictures.
          Attached Files

Comment

more
            Attached Files

Comment

last
              Attached Files

Comment

Good or bad.

Sword looks 100%. Should be stamped WMW Waffen under langet.
                SS stamp is open for specultion.I have an identical example without the SS stamp.

Comment

I can't speak for the sword but shouldn't the knot strap be leather & threads be aluminum?

Comment

Bill-
                    Not neccessarily. Cloth saber straps did exist, and were seen, although not commonly. I have some examples of period cloth knots..although green with the prescribed silver aluminum thread for Heer sabers.

As to his knot, it appears almost the threading is white....however, the photo may simply be deceptive.

I think the saber itself is a good saber...as mentioned above. As far as the silvering goes...I have no idea and don't want to speak to it. There is and was plenty of means, motive and opporunity for unscrupulous individuals to manipulate a saber into a "silver hitled SS patern lionhead". The runes stamp...again, I don't want to speak to it. Plenty of stamps floating around out there and easily could have been added at any time to embellish the piece. I used to own a period Eickhorn police long dress bayo, and some buffoon added a sigrune inspection stamp to the obverse (or reverse..I don't recall) to embellish the piece. Too bad, it was sort of a nice piece I had.

Either way, most silver hilted SS deliniated lionheads come under scrutiny...and rightfully so.

George chimed in and I will demur to his experience with these.
                    Tom

Comment

Tom,

Thanks for the clarification. I have Polizei knots with both leather & cloth straps but I figured for a Heer/SS sword it should have to be leather. Learn something new everyday!

Comment

Thank you all for your answers and for sharing your knowledge!!

Would it be of help if I'd request better pictures of certain areas? If so, please let me know what these areas would be.

Thanks!!

Fritz

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X